Getting Data In

How do you modify data values before indexing?

soumyacharya91
Path Finder

Hi All,

I want to remove more than 2 white spaces from event values at heavy forwarder before ingesting to indexer. Can anyone guide me with this change so that I can be able to fix the issue.

Current State :

field1="xxxxxx", field2="xxx                          ", field3="xxx    ", field4="x", field5="xxxx                                                                       ", field6="xxx  ", field7="xxx                                                                                            ", field8="xxxx                                                                                           ", field9="xxxxx                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   ", field10="xxxxx"

Required State
field1="xxxxxx", field2="xxx", field3="xxx", field4="x", field5="xxxx", field6="xxx", field7="xxx", field8="xxxx", field9="xxxxx", field10="xxxxx"

0 Karma
1 Solution

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi @soumyacharya91,

If you have consistent same data in single sourcetype in that case you can implement below configuration in props.conf on Indexer or Heavy Forwarder whichever comes first from UF.

props.conf

[yoursourcetype]
SEDCMD-removewhitespace = s/\b(?:(\w+))\b=\"(?:(\w+).*?)\"/\1="\2"/g

Restart splunk on Indexer/Heavy Forwarder.

For your reference here is regex with sample data https://regex101.com/r/wf7DAH/1

View solution in original post

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi @soumyacharya91,

If you have consistent same data in single sourcetype in that case you can implement below configuration in props.conf on Indexer or Heavy Forwarder whichever comes first from UF.

props.conf

[yoursourcetype]
SEDCMD-removewhitespace = s/\b(?:(\w+))\b=\"(?:(\w+).*?)\"/\1="\2"/g

Restart splunk on Indexer/Heavy Forwarder.

For your reference here is regex with sample data https://regex101.com/r/wf7DAH/1

soumyacharya91
Path Finder

It is coming from db input.

0 Karma

soumyacharya91
Path Finder

Thanks a lot It is now fixed. You deserve a Chocolate !!

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Great it worked, chcolate pending 🙂

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

You can implement above configuration on server on which Splunk DB Connect is installed, here I am guessing that you have configured DB Input in DB Connect to pull data at certain interval from Database.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...