Getting Data In

How do you filter results after using the tostring "duration"?

pmhelfrich
Explorer

I used the answer from this thread to create my query, but I can't figure out how to narrow them down.
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/108248/tostring-x-duration-working-wierd.html

I'm trying to show only the results where OLDEST_ECA Date/time is older than 12 hrs from now so I can trigger an alert. The difference can span up to days/weeks. I have the calculation showing the results appropriately, but can't figure out the filtering part.

OLDEST_ECA stored as: 2018-12-06 18:26:16.486

| eval OLDEST = strptime(OLDEST_ECA, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| eval NOW_DATE = strftime(now(), "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| eval diff = tostring((now() - OLDEST), "duration")
| Table OLDEST_ECA NOW_DATE OLDEST NOW diff

Example result:

OLDEST_ECA               NOW_DATE                     OLDEST          NOW            diff
2018-12-06 08:00:56.831 2018-12-07 14:31:56 1544104856.000000   1544214716  1+06:31:00.000000
0 Karma
1 Solution

whrg
Motivator

Try:

| where now()-OLDEST<12*3600

View solution in original post

whrg
Motivator

Try:

| where now()-OLDEST<12*3600

pmhelfrich
Explorer

Thanks @whrg, that did the trick! So it seems basically all time is dumbed down into seconds as a base, good to know!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...