Getting Data In

How do i make stored logs be parsed according to a diffrent sourcetype?

mkudejim
Explorer

I have a logs stored in splunk and they are of sourcetype=test, but I recently found this app that parses these type of logs but it needs a different sourcetype (sourcetype=good_type) to parse them. I tried sourcetype renaming but it only changed the name of the sourcetype but the logs did not get parsed by the app.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You will need to change the sourcetype on the host machine(s) where the forwarder is installed on. You will edit the inputs.conf and change the sourcetype there

What's the name of the app and which machine did you install the app on? I'm assuming you will need it installed on the indexer since that does the parsing..

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

After setting the new sourcetype, I assume you want to re-index the data, right? It means running the soft delete using | delete for this data and clearing the caching in the fishbucket - definitely at the forwarder level but potentially also at the index level.

Then when re-indexing and having the modified inputs.conf, you should be fine.

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You will need to change the sourcetype on the host machine(s) where the forwarder is installed on. You will edit the inputs.conf and change the sourcetype there

What's the name of the app and which machine did you install the app on? I'm assuming you will need it installed on the indexer since that does the parsing..

0 Karma

mkudejim
Explorer

It's TA for Symantec Endpoint Protection (syslog), I installed the app on the search head and the forwarder, I would need to install it on the indexer right?

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you using Universal Forwarders or a Heavy Forwarder?

Universal forwarders are unable to parse data, they can only forward data to the indexer which will then parse it. So for this app to work, it will need to be on the indexer and you will need to change your sourcetype name on the forwarder in the inputs.conf file.

So go onto one of your forwarders to test this and go to

Splunk/etc/system/local/inputs.conf and change your sourcetype

0 Karma

mkudejim
Explorer

would I add a stanza like this one to inputs.conf to change the sourcetype?

[test]
rename=good_type

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your stanza in inputs.conf should look like this

Make sure to put in the hostname of the machine, the path you want to monitor, and the index you want this to go into.. Also make sure you restart the forwarder service after making these changes

[default]
host = SERVERNAME

[monitor://PATH_NAME]
disabled = false
sourcetype = good_type
index = YOUR INDEX
0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Were you able to get this going? If this helped then can you accept/like the answer

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You would need to update the inputs.conf using which the data is collected to change the sourcetype from test to good_type (recommended). In order for new sourcetype parsing to take place, it has to apply before it's indexed.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...