Getting Data In

How do I setup a field extract, field transform to change sourcetype?

bliss989
Engager

I am struggling with the relationship between the field extract and the field transformation with regards to sourcetype.
Given a basic line: Nov 1 host service[1001]
I would like to take this and assign it the sourcetype "service"
index is john
sourcetype is john_service

props.conf

[john] 
TRANSFORM-sourcetype = john_service

transforms.conf:

[john_service]
REGEX =\s(\w+)\[
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
FORMAT = sourcetype::john_service

The initial input gets set to: index=john, sourcetype=john

0 Karma

tskinnerivsec
Contributor

Stanzas in props.conf are typically tied to sourcetype. So, once you assign an event to a source type, you would be able to use props.conf to write a field extraction. If you are just renaming a field by using a FIELDALIAS, you can configure it all in props.conf.

If you are creating field names via regex, or working with key/value pairs and need to define a header row, you will also need to use transforms.conf as well.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Please provide you inputs.conf entry for this log to know the index and sourcetype initially used and some real sample logs.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...