Getting Data In

How do I parse this XML output into splunk?

edtayloreyc

How do I parse this XML output into Splunk?

<configResolveClass cookie="1465464629/12a64fe8-34d5-14d5-8038-86f9029bca70" response="yes" classId="faultInst">
    <outConfigs>
        <faultInst ack="yes" cause="equipment-degraded" code="F0997" created="Thu Jan  7 20:29:58 2016" descr="Storage Raid Battery SLOT-3 Degraded: please check the battery or the storage controller" affectedDN="sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-3/raid-battery" highestSeverity="critical" id="3539993344" lastTransition="Thu Jan  7 19:46:32 2016" lc="flapping" occur="45" origSeverity="cleared" prevSeverity="cleared" rule="fltStorageRaidBatteryDegraded" severity="minor" tags="storage" type="server" dn="sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-SLOT-3/raid-battery/fault-F0997" />
    </outConfigs>
</configResolveClass>

Currently Splunk treats the whole chunk as a block. Here is my props.conf:

[ciscofaults]
DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT
KV_MODE = xml
LINE_BREAKER = <faultInst
MUST_BREAK_AFTER = </faultInst>
NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
TRUNCATE = 0
pulldown_type = 1
0 Karma
1 Solution

coltwanger
Contributor

Do you want to just pull out the key value pairs or parse the actual XML or both?

This will at least pull out the key-value pairs:

[ciscofaults]
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = </faultInst>
DATETIME_CONFIG = 
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
category = Custom
kv_mode = auto
pulldown_type = true

View solution in original post

coltwanger
Contributor

Do you want to just pull out the key value pairs or parse the actual XML or both?

This will at least pull out the key-value pairs:

[ciscofaults]
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = </faultInst>
DATETIME_CONFIG = 
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
category = Custom
kv_mode = auto
pulldown_type = true

edtayloreyc

Thanks for the replies. I'd like to also parse the actual XML. This does pull out the KV pairs..

0 Karma

edtayloreyc

This works quite well actually. This is what I need. Thanks for the assistance and the knowledge.

0 Karma

ryanoconnor
Builder

Is your data coming into the sourcetype ciscofaults?

Is this props.conf file on an Indexer or Heavy Forwarder?

Keep in mind MUST_BREAK_AFTER will only be applied if SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true so you don't need the MUST_BREAK_AFTER line.

You're probably going to need a different LINE_BREAKER command. Can you post the raw events of a couple events?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...