Getting Data In

How do I exclude log from sending to Splunk to save quota?

hakusama1024

Hi guys.

I have daily quota for 3G. but the log is too much.
So, I'm trying to exclude some logs, like heart beat, to send to Splunk to save some usage.
I'm trying to use Splunk Filter Rules:
-> Exclude Patterns

Some keywords I clicked exclude.
But, i still am able to see these words when i search on Splunk.
Can anyone help? Thanks.

0 Karma

mstjohn_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

hi @hakusama1024 ,

Did @pyro_wood 's answer solve your problem? If so, please resolve this post by approving one of them. If not, keep us updated so that someone else can help solve your problem.

Also, if you're feeling generous, give out an upvote to the user that helped ya. 🙂

0 Karma

horsefez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @hakusama1024,

I'm not really sure what you mean by "Exclude Patterns", but I can tell you about two ways to filter data before it gets indexed.

Either you filter data at the source, which is the best option, because it doesn't generate additional log traffic:
If you have a Universal Forwarder installed on a Linux System for example and you want to monitor all the files in /var/log/messages/ you could try to specify what particular files out of this file system you are interested in, by splitting up your single monitoring stanza into multiple stanzas.

Or, if granular filtering at the source doesn't work you can filter at Indexer level (also at HF level).
So you could actually filter out and throw away data that is matched via regular expression and avoid it getting indexed.

I have a very good splunk answer from @lguinn here:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/59370/filtering-events-using-nullqueue-1.html

This should help you understand how it can be done.

If you give us additional information about the logfiles you want to filter out, we can assist you further.

0 Karma

sudosplunk
Motivator

Hello,

The heart beat messages - Are you referring to messages from one splunk component to other? Because, splunk licensing doesn't count towards _internal logs. If not, please provide some sample events.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...