Getting Data In

How can I extract only some portions of a json event?

edeca

I have some json events which look similar to the example below. Key to my question is the events[] array which contains a number of things of interest.

I can summarise all data neatly using filters such as | top events{}.command but I'd like to be able to do statistics and time graphing on only those events where type="request". I have looked at spath and I'm uncertain it is what I need, but I am happy to be corrected.

How can I select only the request events and do further processing on them?

An example of the json (this is interpreted fine by Splunk and it parses out the fields correctly):

{[-]
id : "guidguidguid",
events : [
{[-]
type : "request",
command : "jump",
args : "10",
... more ...
},
{[-]
type : "response",
command : "wobble",
args : "20",
... more ...
}
{[-]
type : "response",
command : "run",
args : "10",
... more ...
}
... more ...
],
.. other key-value pairs and arrays ..
}

There may be multiple request/response sections per Splunk event, or there might just be requests or just responses.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See this answer: http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/63559/multiple-events-and-multiple-key-value-pairs-one-being-t.... So a search for you might be:

<yoursearch>|spath|rename events{}.type as event_type|rename events{}.command AS event_command|eval x=mvzip(event_type,event_command)|mvexpand x|eval x=split(x,",")|eval evt_type=mvindex(x,0)|eval evt_cmd = mvindex(x,1)|where evt_type=="request"|stats count by evt_cmd

View solution in original post

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See this answer: http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/63559/multiple-events-and-multiple-key-value-pairs-one-being-t.... So a search for you might be:

<yoursearch>|spath|rename events{}.type as event_type|rename events{}.command AS event_command|eval x=mvzip(event_type,event_command)|mvexpand x|eval x=split(x,",")|eval evt_type=mvindex(x,0)|eval evt_cmd = mvindex(x,1)|where evt_type=="request"|stats count by evt_cmd

0 Karma

edeca

This works great where I just need two of the values from the original data, thanks.

Perhaps a better long term solution is to change the data input format so they form distinct Splunk events.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...