Getting Data In

How can I determine if the UF is seeing anything on a port?

paulgo
Explorer

I'm trying to get our syslogs forwarded via UF to Splunk Cloud.  I've got the UF listening on port 514 and added 

[udp://514]
connection_host = network
sourcetype = syslog

to the inputs.comf file but I'm not seeing anything in search.  

Is there a way to make sure UF is seeing anything on that port?  Am I missing a step?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk Best Practice is to send syslog events to a dedicated syslog server (rsyslog, syslog-ng) and use the UF to forward data from there.  You could use the Splunk Connect for Syslog (SC4S) app to do both of those.

Sending syslog directly to a Splunk instance risks data loss when that instance restarts.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

johnhuang
Motivator

This will should you the events and throughput processed per udp inbound port.

index=_internal udpin_connections
| table _time host group sourcePort udp_bps udp_eps udp_kbps udp_kprocessed udp_avg_thruput

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you running splunk on UF as root? When you are using ports below 1024 you must use root not any othe4 users. 
One way to check if this is listening is follow these https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/unix-linux-check-if-port-is-in-use-command/ instructions.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

paulgo
Explorer

I'm on Windows

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...