Getting Data In

How can I calculate Max index size to meet data retention needs?

marciodcr
Engager

Hi,

I need to keep about 6 months of searchable data in the splunk environment which i am working with.

The average daily rate is 25GB/day and i have calculated the max index size through this way:

25GB * 180 days = 4500GB / 3 + 50GB = 1550000

So, to meet the retention needs, the max index size should be set to ~1.5TB.

Is this information correct?

Thanks!

Marcio

Tags (1)
0 Karma

jtrucks
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Some data types only give you about a 50% reduction in space, so you could be guessing low. However, you can simply cap the retention at 180days with frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 15552000. If you don't want to keep anything after that, don't provide a frozen path, and the data vanishes neatly.

--
Jesse Trucks
Minister of Magic

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Just ensure that the maxTotalDataSizeMB (i.e. the max size of the index) is set sufficiently high so that the size constraint doesn't apply before the time constraint.

Also, make sure that you have enough diskspace.

/k

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...