Getting Data In

Hostname lost in forwarded syslog messages

micuzzu

Hi,
I have a central syslog server, collecting auth.* messages from many Linux hosts in the /var/log/secure file. Then they are forwarded to Splunk by a Universal Forwarder.
The problem is that Splunk sees all these messages with host = "syslog server".

What's the simplest method to use the real originating host, that is always present after date/time:

Jun 23 17:52:36 host01 sshd[12447]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user jsmith b
y (uid=0)

Tags (1)
0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

if you use the "syslog" sourcetype, then the host should be extracted from the events.

To understand the mechanism, look at the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/default/props.conf [syslog]
and $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/default/transforms.conf [syslog-host]

DEST_KEY = MetaData:Host
REGEX = :\d\d\s+(?:\d+\s+|(?:user|daemon|local.?)\.\w+\s+)*\[?(\w[\w\.\-]{2,})\]?\s
FORMAT = host::$1

micuzzu

I tried on a test Splunk server, loading directly the file /var/log/secure of the syslog central server and it works 😉

Now how can I correct the behaviour on the production Splunk server, receiving forwarded events?

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Inputs are in inputs.conf (in $PSLUNK_HOME/etc/apps//default or /local, or in the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local)

Try to change the sourcetype to syslog to get the extraction.

micuzzu

OK, in fact they are now actually indexed using "linux_secure" sourcetype.
Where are defined input data for forwarded events (I'm a newbie)?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...