Getting Data In

Help with windows security event log search string

adrianmiron
Explorer

In order to find out if and when a member was added to a security group,I have done a search for EventCode=4728. The search returned the following:

10/20/2013 01:10:24 PM

LogName=Security

SourceName=Microsoft Windows security auditing.

EventCode=4728

EventType=0

Type=Information

ComputerName=server1.domainname.com

TaskCategory=Security Group Management

OpCode=Info

RecordNumber=5551234

Keywords=Audit Success

Message=A member was added to a security-enabled global group.

Subject:

Security ID:        domainname\jdoe
Account Name:       jdoe
Account Domain:     domainname
Logon ID:       0x1e3ef1d1

Member:

Security ID:        domainname\jdoe
Account Name:       CN=John Doe,OU=My Users OU,DC=domainname,DC=com

Group:

Security ID:        domainname\Test Users
Group Name:     Test Users
Group Domain:       domainname

Additional Information:
Privileges: -

Once I viewed this information I changed my search to look like this:

EventCode=4727 |rename Account_Name as Modifier | rename Group_Name as "Modified Group" |table _time, Host, Modifier, "Modified Group", user

My problem is that I don't know how to deal with the two account names when I display the information in a table. The Modifier displays the right information which is the first account name. I would like user to display the information from "Account Name: CN=John Doe,OU=My Users OU,DC=domainname,DC=com" and label it as "Member Added" as that is the member that was added to the Test Users group name.

1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Since Account_Name is a multivalued field, you'll have to get the correct value out of the array.

index=blah sourcetype=bleh EventCode = 4727 
| eval Modifier = mvindex(Account_Name, 0)
| eval Member_Added = mvindex(Account_Name, 1) 
| rename Group_Name AS Modified_Group 
| table _time host Modifier Modified_Group Member_Added 

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions

/K

View solution in original post

SQservicedesk
Explorer

Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful for any event id pulled from the Windows Security Log. Often there are 2 or 3 fields named the same (e.g. Account_Name) and you only want to pull the one value out. Kristian's answer solved my issue big time.

0 Karma

adrianmiron
Explorer

Thank you Kristian. That worked, and you have opened my eyes to the fact that there are evaluation functions. I am very new at this. Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Since Account_Name is a multivalued field, you'll have to get the correct value out of the array.

index=blah sourcetype=bleh EventCode = 4727 
| eval Modifier = mvindex(Account_Name, 0)
| eval Member_Added = mvindex(Account_Name, 1) 
| rename Group_Name AS Modified_Group 
| table _time host Modifier Modified_Group Member_Added 

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions

/K

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...