Getting Data In

Help with Props.config and XML Parsing

jaminquimby
Explorer

I am new to Splunk and am trying to figure out how to parse a xml file. This is a generic xml file coming from Microsoft Storage Reports
The XML

<?xml version="1.0"?><StorageReport version="2.0"><ReportHeader ReportTitle="Quota Usage Report" GeneratedAt="1/30/2014 1:05:06 AM" MachineName="Server1" ReportTypeDescription="Lists the quotas that exceed a certain disk space usage level. Use this report to quickly identify quotas that may soon be exceeded so that you can take the appropriate action." ReportDescription="" TimestampRenderingPhaseStart="1/30/2014 1:05:08 AM" TimestampGenerationEnding="1/30/2014 1:05:08 AM" MaxDisplayItems="1000" Type="FsrmReportType_QuotaUsage" FilesCount="189" IsStandardFileList="False"><ReportNamespaces><Namespace ID="0">K:\</Namespace></ReportNamespaces><ReportFilters><Filter Name="Minimum Quota used percent" Value="0%" /></ReportFilters><ReportWarnings /></ReportHeader><ReportData><Item><Folder>k:\fs_Folder1</Folder><FolderURL>\\Server1\k$\fs_Folder1</FolderURL><RemotePath><Path>\\Server1\STORE1$\fs_Folder1</Path></RemotePath><Owner>BUILTIN\Administrators</Owner><Limit>1073741824</Limit><Used>4598678528</Used><PercentUsed>428.29</PercentUsed><PeakUsage>4602409984</PeakUsage><PeakUsageTime>1/29/2014 11:49:57 AM</PeakUsageTime><Description></Description></Item><Item><Folder>k:\fs_Folder2</Folder><FolderURL>\\Server1\k$\fs_Folder2</FolderURL><RemotePath><Path>\\Server1\STORE1$\fs_Folder2</Path></RemotePath><Owner>BUILTIN\Administrators</Owner><Limit>1073741824</Limit><Used>3881845760</Used><PercentUsed>361.53</PercentUsed><PeakUsage>3922589696</PeakUsage><PeakUsageTime>1/28/2014 3:41:41 PM</PeakUsageTime><Description></Description></Item></ReportData><ReportSummary><ReportTotals QuotaCount="189" Used="94984972288" /><NamespaceTotals QuotaCount="189" Used="94984972288" /></ReportSummary></StorageReport>

The Props.conf

SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true
KV_MODE=xml
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE=<Item
LINE_BREAK =<Item
NO_BINARY_CHECK =1
TRUNCATE=100000000
MV_ADD = true
DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jaminquimby
Explorer

I will not mark myself as having the right answer because it seems self serving. But for anyone who is looking to parse Microsoft's Storage Reports.

BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE = true
KV_MODE = XML 
LINE_BREAKER = (<item>)
MUST_NOT_BREAK_AFTER = (ReportData/>)
MUST_NOT_BREAK_BEFORE = (<ReportData) 
NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1 SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false 
TIME_PREFIX = (<PeakUsag)
pulldown_type = 1

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jaminquimby
Explorer

I will not mark myself as having the right answer because it seems self serving. But for anyone who is looking to parse Microsoft's Storage Reports.

KV_MODE = XML 
LINE_BREAKER = (<item>)
MUST_NOT_BREAK_AFTER = (ReportData/>)
NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1 SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false 
pulldown_type = 1
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

You should mark the answer correct. Don't worry about self-serving - it helps the community if you answer your own question AND make it correct!

1 - people quit checking to see if this question needs to be answered

2 - people who have similar questions can easily see that this question has an answer

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

A copy of things:

The < is a special character in regular expressions, so you should specify it as \<

Also, you should not set both LINE_BREAK and BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE. I suggest that you remove the line for LINE_BREAK

Otherwise, it should work.

0 Karma

jaminquimby
Explorer

I have figured it out.

KV_MODE = XML
LINE_BREAKER = ()
MUST_NOT_BREAK_AFTER = (ReportData\/>)
NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
pulldown_type = 1

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...