Getting Data In

HF having "Ingestion Latency" & "Large and Archive File Reader" & "Real-time Reader" issues

muradgh
Path Finder

Hi Splunkers,

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with Splunk that I'm facing:

I have a Splunk heavy forwarder setting on the customer side, through it the customer sends the logs of the Splunk universal forwarders and the network devices (switches, routers, and firewalls), and this HF sends the logs to 2 indexers (on my side) through a VPN.

I have noticed that the HF is having the pipelines are 100% full!
I have tried to increase the number of pipelines but with no luck.

muradgh_5-1681639758523.png

I checked the "list monitor" command in Splunk:
/opt/splunk/bin/splunk list monitor | wc -l

and it results with 690
I then modified the "limits.conf" on the HF:

[inputproc]
max_fd = 900

restarted Splunk but still nothing is fixed

In the customer environment, there are about 15 firewalls, they are configured to send syslog logs to a Splunk heavy forwarder that has syslog-ng installed on it.

Recently I have noticed that the logs from the firewalls when I query them on the SH they are delayed!
Even though the syslog logs from the firewalls themselves are being received in real-time on the heavy forwarder!

I have run the following command using CLI to check if there is any blockage and as expected there are a lot of them:
grep blocked=true /opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/metrics.log*

muradgh_0-1681638114309.png

And in the GUI, in the "Health Status of Splunkd":

muradgh_1-1681638839656.png

under the "Ingestion Latency":

muradgh_2-1681638922454.png

And under the "Large and Archive File Reader":

muradgh_3-1681638984381.png

And under the "Real-time Reader":

muradgh_4-1681639050463.png

what is the issue that I'm facing?

I'm running Splunk 9.0.4 on the HF
CPU: 12
RAM: 16

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There are MANY reasons for this including:

See "maxKBps = <integer>" section here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Limitsconf

If you are using "monitor", you MUST clean up old files because the scanning breaks down SEVERELY once you have 200 or so files co-resident, even if you are NOT monitoring them!  You can switch to "batch" which deletes the files once read.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sorry, but you are simply wrong here. Yes, too many monitored files can cause performance issues but at a way way higher threshold. I've seen environments with several thousands files in monitored directories working well. If the files are on a remote storage - that can cause delays, especially on a forwarder start. But it's more an underlying OS issue than Splunk as such.

And "advice" to switch from monitor to batch is... well, unwise. Try ingesting a growing file (as in syslogd output file) by batch input. Good luck.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It is not reasonable to say that something that I have seen, I actually did not see.  I did not say that it ALWAYS happens, I said that at hundreds I have seen it happen.  At thousands it almost always happens.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's hard to say without seeing the full picture. But generally, single indexing pipeline utilizes 4-6 cores which means that if you have 4 parallel indexing pipelines you're oversubscribed. And that doesn't include inputs.

What is your throughput on this HF?

0 Karma

muradgh
Path Finder

@PickleRick 
On the HF, under the limits.conf:

[thruput]
maxKBps = 0
[inputproc]
max_fd = 900

and under the outputs.conf:

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = primary_indexers
maxQueueSize = 100MB
useACK = false
forceTimebasedAutoLB = true
autoLBFrequency= 30
autoLBVolume = 15728640
indexAndForward = false
forwardedindex.filter.disable = true
compressed = false
forwardedindex.2.whitelist = (_audit|_introspection|_internal)
[tcpout:primary_indexers]
server = x.x.x.10:9997, x.x.x.11:9997
[indexAndForward]
index = false

Please note that even though I have increased the number of "parallelIngestionPipelines" to 12, the server specs were not impacted! nothing is fully saturated as I expected it to do! the CPU utilization is 2% and the RAM is 7 GB out of 16 GB!

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Looks pretty OK (maybe with some LB settings which could use some tweaking).

What kind of network connection do you have between this HF and your indexers? Because if your indexers choked on your data, you should get warnings about throtting but if the network connection itself is getting saturated, you could get something like this

Another point is if you have a low-bandwidth connection, using HF for ingesting data at this point is a bad idea since HF parses data and sends parsed data to downstream whereas UF would send cooked data which by average is about 1/6th of the volume of parsed data.

0 Karma

muradgh
Path Finder

The network connection between this HF and the two indexers is a VPN site-to-site connection, as this HF is on the customer site and the two indexers are on our site.

Regarding your second point, we are using HFs in this case because:

• The UFs are on the customer side and the indexers are on our site, we can't just simply send all the UF data directly to the indexers, we needed an HF in the middle.
  • We installed syslog-ng on the HF to collect the syslog logs from the network devices (firewalls, routers, switches, etc.) that are on the customer side, then we created a local inputs.conf on the HF and in it a monitor stanza to monitor the syslog logs directory and send them to the indexers.
  • We also installed and configured the db connect app on the HF to get the database logs from the customer also.

What I have done lately is adding another new HF alongside this one hoping somehow to eliminate the issues, then I configured all the UFs to send the logs only to the new HF, leaving the old HF to handle only the syslog logs and the databases, yet the issue with the old HF is still there!

Isn't having the below prevent the HF from parsing the logs? 
[indexAndForward]
index = false

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No. The "index=false" entry means only that _after parsing the data isn't written localy to index files but sent further downstream for indexing. As parsed data.

You can use UF as an intermediate forwarder.

You can use UF to monitor syslog-ng log files.

The only thing that really needs a HF is indeed the dbconnect app.

But you could use HF for dbconnect and UF for the rest. In case of low-bandwidth link it could be highly benefitial considering amount of traffic produced.

Anyway, check your VPN tunnel bandwidth and usage.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...