Getting Data In

Getting - "Splunk Light setup wizard ended prematurely"

wstaton

I have just downloaded free splunk light to check it out.

I get the above message as soon as I run the install program. I get this with the 32 and 64 bit versions

I am runing it on my laptop 2.10ghz 4 mb ram windows 7 64bit version.
My language is english.

Am I missing something?

Wilf

0 Karma

david_casey
Path Finder

I know this is a really old post but after banging my head on a related Splunk install problem I stumbled upon something that worked for my issue. The Windows "Software Protection" service was not starting like it should have (its set to Automatic (Delayed Start)). UF installs failed every time. When I manually started the service the UF installed normally.

0 Karma

tobiassorensson
Engager

As in my case with the same problem, I only needed to run the .msi as local administrator (administratör, on swedish OS).

0 Karma

rbittner_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

When you are installing Splunk Light on Windows what user are you installing under? That user needs to have specific privileges or the install might fail. If you can provide some details about this it will help.

The documentation has some information around this: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.2/Installation/ChoosetheuserSplunkshouldrunas

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

First, check for log files in C:\Users\you\AppData\Local\Temp. They should be timestamped around the time of your failed install and probably be called something like MSIfoo.log and/or Splunk-bar.log.
If you find no good error messages in there you can install with much more logging by running this: msiexec /I /l*v

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...