Getting Data In

Getting Data in from S3 : Blacklist option

saty586
Explorer

Trying to get a part of file in S3 into Splunk.

Can i use blacklist option to filter out part of file and ingest rest of data in Splunk?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

96nick
Path Finder

Instead of a blacklist, you could also use the whitelist value:

whitelist = <Override regex for blacklist when using a folder key.>. For example, whitelist = ^.\/cloudtrail2\/.$. Regex should match the full path.

Instead of making a complicated regex with a blacklist, I would make a simpler one with that will allow you to pull in anything with the 'Y' value.  I'd use Regex101 to make sure it's correct, and remember to use the full path!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

96nick
Path Finder

Yes, you can use the blacklist option in the inputs.conf stanza to ignore section of the directory you're ingesting from S3. You just have to make sure the regex matches the full path which means your regex has to use asterisks. 

More info here:  

https://community.splunk.com/t5/All-Apps-and-Add-ons/Splunk-Add-on-for-Amazon-Web-Services-3-0-Why-d...

saty586
Explorer

Thanks @96nick 

But is it possible to filter out 2 events out of 10 events present in same file in a bucket.

For example -

I have only 1 file in the bucket - "xyz.txt"

Content of xyz.txt

event_id    flag     user_id

U123           Y              123

I123             N              101

U125           Y                234

is it possible to ingest only rows with   flag with value "Y" in splunk . using regex in blacklist option?

0 Karma

96nick
Path Finder

Instead of a blacklist, you could also use the whitelist value:

whitelist = <Override regex for blacklist when using a folder key.>. For example, whitelist = ^.\/cloudtrail2\/.$. Regex should match the full path.

Instead of making a complicated regex with a blacklist, I would make a simpler one with that will allow you to pull in anything with the 'Y' value.  I'd use Regex101 to make sure it's correct, and remember to use the full path!

View solution in original post

0 Karma
.conf21 CFS Extended through 5/20!

Don't miss your chance
to share your Splunk
wisdom in-person or
virtually at .conf21!

Call for Speakers has
been extended through
Thursday, 5/20!