Getting Data In
Highlighted

Generate PDF from View in REST API

Path Finder

I am using Splunk 6.1.1 and currently have a form that takes an integer input (foo) and timerange. The URL for this view after entering the values is https://splunk/app/app_name/view_name?earliest=-30d&latest=now&form.foo=1#. I then generate a PDF from this page. Thing is, I need this form for about 650 instances of foo, and I'd like to run it once a month.

I can't schedule the view since it requires input, and I refuse to create 650 instance of the form without input. My hope is to create a python or ruby script that calls this view with the required input, generates a PDF from the output, and gives me the document metadata so I can store elsewhere. Is this a thing? Looking through the API docs, I see lots for scheduled searches, but this isn't a scheduled search. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Highlighted

Re: Generate PDF from View in REST API

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is a /services/pdfgen/render endpoint, but it doesn't appear to be documented. You might be able to reverse-engineer how to call it from $SPLUNK_HOME/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/exposed/js/util/pdf_utils.js#downloadReportFromXML(), that's what gets called underneath when you click the Export PDF button.

Highlighted

Path Finder

interesting. I'll give it a shot, and let you know what I find. Thank you Martin.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Engager

The /services/pdfgen/render/ endpoint takes a view [as answered here: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/223655/can-i-export-pdf-via-rest.html], but luckily also a input-dashboard-xml input, which accepts xml-dashboards - as long as all tokens/variables are resolved (!).

To generate a ton of different reports based on the same view/dashboard but different search parameters I wrote a python script.

Using this script all you have to do is
- save the dasboard code as .xml-file
- figure out for which report you want to replace which tokens and have a list of those tokens for every report.
- hand over a JSON List with tokens and their respective values
{"tokenlist":[{'token':'$example$' 'value':'value for individual search'}, {'token':'$example2$' 'value':'searchstring'}]
- run the script which will send the compatible dashboard code to the API and download the resulting pdf report

So my generateReport(tokenlist) function looks like this:
(Disclaimer: this is simplified to get the concept across- I stripped error detection for invalid reports, logging, metadata creation and the like - which is crucial if you plan on automatically mailing those reports)

# import requests

with open('dashboardFile.xml','rb') as XMLfile:
    XMLDashboard =XMLfile.read().replace('\n', '')
    XMLDashboard = XMLDashboard.replace('<', '%26lt%3B')  # otherwise the API will complain

# Replace all tokens in the XMLCode
for t in tokenlist:
    XMLDashboard = XMLDashboard.replace(t['token'], t['value'])

# Send XML code to endpoint, answer should be a pdf file
r = requests.get('https://splunkhost:8089/services/pdfgen/render', auth=(splunkuser, splunkpass), params={'input-dashboard-xml':XMLDashboard,'paper-size':'a4-landscape'})

if r.status_code == 200:
    with open('report_file.pdf', 'wb') as pdffile:
        pdffile.write(r.content)

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Path Finder

This works great. Thanks a lot, cwue. Those who don't have access to "requests" library can use curl command like the following:

import subprocess
fileout = "/home/splunk/pdfdashboards/yourpdfile.pdf"

subprocess.call(["curl","-G", "-sku", "yourusername:yourpassword","-k", Url, "--data-urlencode", "input-dashboard-xml=" + XMLDashboard,"-d","namespace=yourAppName", "-d","paper-size=a4-landscape"], stdout=fileout)

if you are using "--data-urlencode" then you don't have to use the following two lines:
XMLDashboard=XMLfile.read().replace('\n', '')
XMLDashboard = XMLDashboard.replace('<', '%26lt%3B') # otherwise the API will complain

Good Luck and Thanks to cwue once again.

Highlighted

Explorer

Thanks both for this help - however, if you want to do it from a shell script, this works:
- save dashboard as "mydash.xml" with appropriate parameters/timeline set
- run this curl command:
- curl -G -sku admin:${mypass} "https://localhost:8089/services/pdfgen/render" --data-urlencode "input-dashboard-xml=$(cat mydash.xml)" -d namespace=search -d paper-size=a4-landscape > mydash.pdf

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

Were any of you successful in creating a pdf in linux using REST API and emailing to Windows box and check if the pdf show properly? When I created a pdf using the above method in Linux (using python) it looks great in linux but after sending it to Windows via email Windows displays the pdf with blank pages.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Communicator

Hi @anwarmian and @cwue,

By using this approach doesn it resolve the problems with pdf renderinng.
Does it retain the same color codes which are used in the dashbaord
Does it retain the same spacing and panels for page as that of the dashboard ?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Thanks cwue! In case anyone else gets errors saying that it couldn't find the end of a start tag, adding XMLDashboard=XMLDashboard.replace(' ', '%20') should work!

0 Karma
Highlighted

Hello,
Does anyone have the full script/xml files needed ... the reference link above is no longer valid.

I'd love to see the python code, I'm not sure where I find the 'dashboardFile.xml' or what this file should look like.

Python and curl examples appreciated.
Craig

0 Karma
Speak Up for Splunk Careers!

We want to better understand the impact Splunk experience and expertise has has on individuals' careers, and help highlight the growing demand for Splunk skills.