Getting Data In

Friendly names for source

virtualpony
Path Finder

Is it possible to give source friendly names? I collect a bunch of ESXi syslogs from a file and it shows up in splunk as D:\longpath\ipaddress\syslog.log. Because the source name is so long, it gets truncated with ... In the chart legends. I'd like to give it a more meaningful name like 'ESXi-01'.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can use the rename attribute in the source type stanza in your props.conf file. See Rename source types in the Getting Data In Manual.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Right idea, but rename changes the field name, not the field value. you want eval and one of the eval functions to change the value, or possibly the rex command. (Though you do what the rex command does with eval using the replace() function.)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...