Getting Data In

FreeBSD 8.2 support?

wwwdrich
Explorer

Has anyone successfully installed splunk 4.2 on FreeBSD 8.x? I'm getting the following error output on FreeBSD 8.2 from the intel pkg:

> sudo pkg_add ~/splunk-4.2-96430-freebsd-6.1-intel.tgz 
pkg_add: could not find package /bin/uname !
tar: Unrecognized archive format
tar: +CONTENTS: Not found in archive
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
pkg_add: tar extract of /bin/mv failed!
pkg_add: unable to extract table of contents file from '/bin/mv' - not a package?
pkg_add: autoload of dependency '/bin/mv' failed!

It is acting like the download isn't really a package file and has dependencies on non-standard FreeBSD file locations.

When I get some time I will rip the package apart and see what might be going wrong inside of it.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

bhieric

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libutil.so.7" not found, required by "python"42
That was solved by simple ln -s /lib/libutil.so.8 /lib/libutil.so.7

Thanks! this solution worked for me as well!

0 Karma

shd
Explorer

I've encountered the same problem. Splunk package has some weird dependencies. Solution goes smth like this (assuming the only file in current directory is splunk package file):

tar zxf splunk-4.2-96430-freebsd-6.1-intel.tgz
rm splunk-4.2-96430-freebsd-6.1-intel.tgz
cat +CONTENTS | sed -e '/^@pkgdep/d' >CONTENTS.new
mv CONTENTS.new +CONTENTS
tar cf ../splunk-4.2-96430-freebsd-6.1-intel.tgz *

You will find new package file in .. directory. Also, when installing at FreeBSD 8.1 amd64, there was some problem with python shared object:

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libutil.so.7" not found, required by "python"42

That was solved by simple ln -s /lib/libutil.so.8 /lib/libutil.so.7

0 Karma

dnelson
Engager

You never want to symlink shared libraries to different versions. The version number was bumped for a reason. Install the misc/compat7x port to get libutil.so.7.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...