Getting Data In

Forwarding a Log File and Monitor Any Updates to that Log File

ericmoss
Explorer

I have a Linux server and a Windows server. My Windows server is the receiver and my Linux server is a forwarder. There is a specific log file that contains the logs I want to forward to Windows server. How do I do that?

The most important thing I would like to do is monitor that log file for any logs that get written to it. I do not want to keep uploading and forwarding that file as it grows to my Windows server. So any log that gets generated, I want to forward that to the Windows server rather than the whole file.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 Karma

ericmoss
Explorer

I added [monitor:///var/log/logmessages] to the inputs.conf file. logmessages is the file where my logs are written to. Will this work?

Lowell
Super Champion

Looks like you are looking for basic Splunk forwarding and receiving functionality. I suggest you start with the following from the docs:

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Admin/Enableforwardingandreceiving

BTW, splunk forwards the whole file the first time a new file is found (or when it's first setup as a monitor input), then after that only newly added log events are forwarded. Splunk doesn't keep re-copying the same file over and over again; if that's what you are asking about.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...