Getting Data In

Forwarding IIS6 Logfiles Using Universal Forwarder

andiih
Explorer

My IIS 6 logfiles (W2K3) are getting stuck in the parsingQueue of the SUF - this means that no data gets received from this server. Prior to adding the stanzas below, data was being received normally.

Now I have the following in Metrics.log

03-22-2013 16:46:15.317 +0000 INFO Metrics - group=queue, name=parsingqueue, max_size_kb=512, current_size_kb=449, current_size=8, largest_size=8, smallest_size=8

and splunkd.log

03-22-2013 16:35:36.222 +0000 INFO TailingProcessor - Could not send data to output queue (parsingQueue), retrying...
03-22-2013 16:35:36.222 +0000 INFO BatchReader - Could not send data to output queue (parsingQueue), retrying...

The following inputs.conf on the forwarder (in local)

[monitor://c:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles]
disabled=false
recursive=true
followTail = 0
sourcetype=MSWindows:2003:IIS

and props.conf

[MSWindows:2003:IIS]
CHECK_FOR_HEADER = false

I've only just added the props.conf file and sourcetype, but that has not helped (in fact I think it made it worse - I didn't have the BatchReader errors before that)

Any help to configuring IIS to use with a SUF and (debian) indexer would be appreciated!

0 Karma

tgow
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What Windows user are you running the splunkforwarder service as? Most of the Windows problems I see are related to permissions. Make sure the Windows user has access to the IIS logs directory.

0 Karma

andiih
Explorer

Back on site today, and temporarily swapped from Local System to a "God" account with local and network permissions. No luck. It does seem to be the ParsingQueue that dies with the IIS logfiles.

0 Karma

andiih
Explorer

I'll check this next week. It's certainly plausible!

0 Karma

jstockamp
Communicator

Are you seeing messages in splunkd.log that you are connected to the indexer? Do you have any other inputs on the forwader that are making it to the indexer?

0 Karma

andiih
Explorer

If I take this logfile stanza out,then I get connections and data flows from the windows event logs. When I add it, the parsing queue dies and no data flows

0 Karma

jstockamp
Communicator

You might want to add a whiltelist to your input:

whitelist=*.log

0 Karma

andiih
Explorer

nice idea, but this doesn't seem to have helped.

0 Karma

tgow
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Might be a long shot but I noticed you don't have a slash on the monitor stanza, ie:

[monitor://C:\Windows\system32\LogFiles]

Also make sure that the Windows firewall is not blocking the TCP connection between the UF and the Indexer.

0 Karma

andiih
Explorer

I do have the slashes, its just my (lack of) competence in formatting on this forum. Firewall isn't blocking, as I get the WinEventLog* events through if I take the monitor stanza out

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...