Getting Data In

Filtering Windows event logs

splunker30039
Path Finder

I am not able to only forward certain interesting Windows events and ignore the rest. Running 4.2.x on both forwarder and indexer/receiver.

It ignores my restrictions and sends all Windows logs, as if props/transforms in local\ does not get acknowledged..

props:

[source::WinEventLog...]
TRANSFORMS-wmi = events-filter, events-null

[source::WinEventLog...]
TRANSFORMS-wmi = events-filter, events-null

transforms:

[events-null]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[events-filter]
REGEX=(?msi)^EventCode=(4625|4624|7036|1102|1033)
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = indexQueue

Tried both [source::WinEventLog...] and [WMI:WinEventLog...], doesnt make a difference.

Driving me crazy, please assist.

0 Karma
1 Solution

splunker30039
Path Finder

Working now.

props.conf:

[WinEventLog:Security]
TRANSFORMS-security= events-null, events-null3, events-filter

[WinEventLog:System]
TRANSFORMS-system= events-null, events-filter

[WinEventLog:Application]
TRANSFORMS-application= events-null, events-filter

transforms.conf:
[events-null]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[events-null3]
REGEX=Logon Type=\s*(3)\D
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[events-filter]
REGEX=(?msi)^EventCode=(5157|4625|4624|7036|1102|1033)\D
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = indexQueue

Key issues:

• make sure null filter is before any other event filters
  • make sure it is on splunk 4.2+. If you have other apps installed, their config files may conflict
  • Windows splunk seems to be pretty shaky, lots of bugs, bugfixes. I am on 4.2.2, working fine.

View solution in original post

mcronkrite
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

On the latest Splunk versions 6.0+ you will want to have the Splunk_TA_Windows installed on the Forwarder and Indexer/Search Head tiers. This TA will extract the Event Code fields for you from Windows Event Logs.

Don't forget to also turn on auditing and domain policies for the specific events you want to collect.

Check out the Splunk Blog post about Windows Event Filtering
http://blogs.splunk.com/2013/10/14/windows-event-logs-in-splunk-6/

mayler
Path Finder

I'm having a similar issue. How does splunk classify these logs as WinEvenLog? My previous, working, installation had

props.conf

[default]

TRANSFORMS-wmi=wminull

transforms.conf

[wminull]

REGEX=(?msi)^EventCode=(4768|4776|4769|4932|4933|5152|5158|4634|4672|5156|4662|4624|7036|5145|5140)\D
DEST_KEY=queue
FORMAT=nullQueue

0 Karma

splunker30039
Path Finder

Working now.

props.conf:

[WinEventLog:Security]
TRANSFORMS-security= events-null, events-null3, events-filter

[WinEventLog:System]
TRANSFORMS-system= events-null, events-filter

[WinEventLog:Application]
TRANSFORMS-application= events-null, events-filter

transforms.conf:
[events-null]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[events-null3]
REGEX=Logon Type=\s*(3)\D
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[events-filter]
REGEX=(?msi)^EventCode=(5157|4625|4624|7036|1102|1033)\D
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = indexQueue

Key issues:

• make sure null filter is before any other event filters
  • make sure it is on splunk 4.2+. If you have other apps installed, their config files may conflict
  • Windows splunk seems to be pretty shaky, lots of bugs, bugfixes. I am on 4.2.2, working fine.

fabiocaldas
Contributor

It worked perfect when I set those values on HeavyForwarder configurations.

0 Karma

splunker30039
Path Finder

BTW, the logon type 3 null filter filters out automated logins, something that clogs up logs and I did not care about. The event IDs are for successful logins/failed logins, application installs and service restarts. I am using one filter for all three facilities, working fine.

0 Karma

ftk
Motivator

In your props.conf, use [WinEventLog:Security], skipping the source:: part, as you actually want to use a sourcetype definition. You should be able to use [WinEventLog:*] to apply this to all windows event logs, but I haven't tried doing this before, so I am 100% not sure.

splunker30039
Path Finder

BTW, WinEventLog:* did not work. Splunk expects the Security/Application/System facility keywords there.

lguinn2
Legend

I don't think you want to use the ... wildcard for Windows events logs sources. I'm not a Windows expert, but I suggest that you try

[source::WinEventLog*]

Have you tried selecting by sourcetype instead of source?

0 Karma

mayler
Path Finder

I'm having a similar issue. How does splunk classify these logs as WinEvenLog? My previous, working, installation had

props.conf

[default]

TRANSFORMS-wmi=wminull

transforms.conf

[wminull]

REGEX=(?msi)^EventCode=(4768|4776|4769|4932|4933|5152|5158|4634|4672|5156|4662|4624|7036|5145|5140)D DEST_KEY=queue FORMAT=nullQueue

0 Karma

splunker30039
Path Finder

Have to admit that I am slightly confused about the WMI VS source VS sourcetype, especially the Windows/Splunk changes since 4.2 etc. Is anyone else forwarding Windows logs and filtering on 4.2.x Splunk?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...