Getting Data In

Filter syslog input before indexing

bumjubeo
Explorer

I am looking to filter my syslog traffic before it gets indexed by splunk as we are getting a fair bit of fluff from our esxi hosts.

This is what I have setup so far, and it doesnt appear to be working....it may be an error on my regex, I'm hoping not haha.

-props.conf-

[source::SyslogVMware] TRANSFORMS-null = setnull

-transforms.conf-

[setnull] REGEX = [hostd] DEST_KEY = queue FORMAT = nullQueue

I am hoping to remove all alerts recieved from hostd before being indexed, but this doesnt appear to filter anything and i'm hoping I can get a quick pointer in the right direction.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

bumjubeo
Explorer

Type your custom source correctly and this issue wont be a problem. 😉

bumjubeo
Explorer

Ends up the initial regex Hostd: wasn't actually working because Vpxa was being so chatty I didnt notice any Hostd logs, upon further filtering the search I noticed Hostd was sending logs. Looked at my custom source name and I was using the Sourcetype name and not the Source name.

0 Karma

bumjubeo
Explorer

Figured out a bit....my regex didnt need [hostd].

I made my REGEX = Hostd:

and this worked, I am not working on the or command which should be a pipe...arent the conf files using perl regexes?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...