Getting Data In

Field showing an additional and not visible value --"none"-- under timestamp field

mgarciar
Path Finder

Hi all,

I have a problem with a field call "timestamp".

I have created a custom python script and added as "Data input". The script is executed every 5 minutes and makes an API call, parse the json response and send it to the indexer.

This is a sample raw event:

{"rev_pingdeath_count": 0, "fwd_tiny_count": 0, "dst_address": "X.X.X.X", "timestamp": "2017-09-15T16:05:00.000Z", "start_timestamp": "1505491512000000", "fwd_cwr_count": 0, "user_src_location": null, "rev_synrst_count": 0, "fwd_xmas_count": 0, "server_app_latency_usec": 0, "rev_rst_count": 0, "dst_is_internal": "true", "user_dst_businessUnit": null, "fwd_bytes": 1022, "fwd_synfin_count": 0, "rev_ack_count": 8, "user_dst_pod": null, "total_perceived_latency_usec": 0, "bandwidth_bytes_per_second": "0", "user_src_department": null, "user_src_businessUnit": null, "rev_psh_count": 4, "dst_hostname": "appServerXXXX", "user_src_lifecycle": null, "rev_pkts": 8, "fwd_nc_count": 0, "src_address": "Y.Y.Y.Y", "rev_finnoack_count": 0, "user_src_pod": null, "dst_enforcement_epg_name": [], "rev_nc_count": 0, "rev_cwr_count": 0, "user_src_datacenter": null, "fwd_synrst_count": 0, "fwd_ack_count": 7, "srtt_available": "SRTT_NONE", "rev_allzero_count": 0}

There is only one timestamp field on each event, as far I have been able to see, but when I do a ** index=main source=mysource | head 1 | table timestamp** I get the following data:

alt text

Where is the none value coming from ??. This none is present in every single event.

Splunk version 6.5.2, single instance.

Thanks and regards,

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi mgarciar,
I think that you used "timestamp" field as timestamp in log ingestion
so try to use index=main source=mysource | head 1 | table _time
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

mgarciar
Path Finder

Splunk is using the current time to set the _time field value and not timestamp.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It should be better to configure your input to use timestamp field as timestamp,
Anyway try

index=main source=mysource | head 1 | rename timestamp AS _time | table _time

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

just tried to use your sample in a text input, it worked fine, below is how the event looks like when i ingest it through a text file...see and compare against your event
{ [-]
bandwidth_bytes_per_second: 0

dst_address: X.X.X.X

dst_enforcement_epg_name: [ [+]
]

dst_hostname: appServerXXXX

dst_is_internal: true

fwd_ack_count: 7

fwd_bytes: 1022

fwd_cwr_count: 0

fwd_nc_count: 0

fwd_synfin_count: 0

fwd_synrst_count: 0

fwd_tiny_count: 0

fwd_xmas_count: 0

rev_ack_count: 8

rev_allzero_count: 0

rev_cwr_count: 0

rev_finnoack_count: 0

rev_nc_count: 0

rev_pingdeath_count: 0

rev_pkts: 8

rev_psh_count: 4

rev_rst_count: 0

rev_synrst_count: 0

server_app_latency_usec: 0

src_address: Y.Y.Y.Y

srtt_available: SRTT_NONE

start_timestamp: 1505491512000000

timestamp: 2017-09-15T16:05:00.000Z

total_perceived_latency_usec: 0

user_dst_businessUnit: null

user_dst_pod: null

user_src_businessUnit: null

user_src_datacenter: null

user_src_department: null

user_src_lifecycle: null

user_src_location: null

user_src_pod: null

}

And when i ran the query | table timestamp,_time , this is what i get:
timestamp _time
2017-09-15T16:05:00.000Z 2017-09-15 21:35:00

so mgarciar _timee is not really the current time , is it?
I think if you do the event compare between my text ingestion and your event you will get some clues

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi mgarciar,,
could you explain:
you ingested this event from a text file in index=main using as TimeStamp the current time;
you extracted the "timestamp" field using a regex (like this timestamp: (?<timestamp>.*)\s+total );
after you run my search:

index=main source=mysource | head 1 | rename timestamp AS _time | table timestamp _time

and you have different values between timestamp and _time?

I performed the same test and I had the same values, could you repeat this full test?

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

mgarciar
Path Finder

Hi,
I'm ingesting events from a Python script that is calling an API. This script writes to splunk the events as shown on my original post. When I do a search, like this:

index=main source=mysource | head 1

I can see Splunk returns a single event, everything looking good. But when add:

| table timestamp

where timestamp is a field from the json formatted event it returns two values, none and the actual date time value (as shown on the original picture). The none is not visible anywhere.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi mgarciar,
in your python script try to use this search:

index=main source=mysource 
| head 1 
| rex "timestamp: (?<timestamp>.*)\s+total" 
| table timestamp

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

mgarciar
Path Finder

Hi Giuseppe,
Thank you for your suggestions. That will probably allow me to extract the correct value at search time.
But the problem persists right?, the question is more: why I'm getting that none value inserted on the field? Is it that timestamp is a reserved field maybe?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi mgarciar,
probably you didn't correctly extracted the timestamp field, try to re configure field extraction enabled for the role that you use in python script and probably you'll not have the problem.

if you're satisfied by this answer, please accept or upvote it.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

mgarciar
Path Finder

There is not field extraction at all. The value is "as is". That's the value coming from the Api (with the exception of the none). The _time field is just set to be the system date/time (for now).
There is not field extraction, props, transform, anything related with the "timestamp" field.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

try to add a field extraction for timestamp field using my regex, in this way you should use this field also in script.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If this answer satisfies your question, please accept or upvote it.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Cannot reproduce, please share your props.conf for this sourcetype

0 Karma

mgarciar
Path Finder

props.conf
[mysourcetype]
DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT
MAX_EVENTS = 1000
TRUNCATE = 100000

But I did find something interesting ... I did a export raw events and this is what I got:

• _raw field contains the event as in the original message
  • _time fields shows fine
  • timestamp field shows none
0 Karma

mgarciar
Path Finder

Sorry actually shows both values: none and the actual field value

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...