Getting Data In

Field Extraction

afamoyib
Path Finder

I am trying to extract a field but it is not working properly. I am able to extract single words but when spaces gets involved it fails. I am basically trying to extract all 4 tab keywords.

Event Sample
Description : Security Update
HotFixID : KB3212646
InstalledBy : NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
InstalledOn : 1/20/2017 12:00:00 AM

Description : Update
HotFixID : KB2952664
InstalledOn : 2/17/2017 12:00:00 AM

0 Karma

afamoyib
Path Finder

This was completed by writing regex statement to break properly and extract them into new words.

0 Karma

JDukeSplunk
Builder

I don't know if you want to try a different approach, but if you're looking for Windows info like patch levels, uptime, and so on you might try WMI inputs. I created a new app called "wmi" and deployed it to my windows hosts. It's no-frills and basically consists of a directory named wmi and a sub-directory named local. Then plop this down as inputs.conf after editing what index you want things to go to. You can edit the wql = line to include whatever information that WMI class will output.

It just works.

# WMI FOR appdev INDEX
#replace the index = line with the correct index 
#place this file in C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\wmi\local as inputs.conf

[settings]
initial_backoff = 5
max_backoff = 20
max_retries_at_max_backoff = 0
checkpoint_sync_interval = 2

## Processes
[WMI:LocalProcesses]
interval = 120
wql = Select IDProcess,PrivateBytes,Name,PercentProcessorTime,TimeStamp_Sys100NS from Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process
index = idx_appdev
disabled = 0

## Scheduled Jobs

## Use the Win32_ScheduledJob  class. Note that this class can only return jobs that are created using either a script or AT.exe. 
## It cannot return information about jobs that are either created by or modified by the Scheduled Task wizard.
[WMI:ScheduledJobs]
disabled = 0
## Run once per day
interval = 86400
wql = SELECT Caption, Command, Description, InstallDate, InteractWithDesktop, JobId, JobStatus, Name, Notify, Priority, RunRepeatedly, Status FROM Win32_ScheduledJob
index = idx_appdev

## Services

## http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394418(VS.85).aspx
## Lists all services registered on the system,if they are running,and the status
[WMI:Service]
disabled = 0
## Run once an hour
interval = 3600
wql = SELECT Name, Caption, State, Status, StartMode, StartName, PathName, Description FROM Win32_Service
index = idx_appdev

## Update
[WMI:InstalledUpdates]
disabled = 0
## Run once per day
interval = 86400
wql = SELECT Description, FixComments, HotFixID, InstalledBy, InstalledOn, ServicePackInEffect FROM Win32_QuickFixEngineering
index = idx_appdev

## Uptime
[WMI:Uptime]
disabled = 0
## Run once an hour
interval = 3600
wql = SELECT SystemUpTime FROM Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfOS_System
index = idx_appdev

## index = idx_appdev

## Version
[WMI:Version]
disabled = 0
## Run once per day
interval = 86400
wql = SELECT Caption, ServicePackMajorVersion, ServicePackMinorVersion, Version FROM Win32_OperatingSystem
index = idx_appdev

Then I built a little dashboard around it..alt text

DalJeanis
Legend

Where exactly are you doing this? Is this an index-time extraction or a search-time extraction?

Are there CR/LFs in the _raw the way you have shown them, or are the events actually like this, or some other way ?

Description : Security Update HotFixID : KB3212646  InstalledBy : NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM InstalledOn : 1/20/2017 12:00:00 AM

Are these the only fields you need to extract, or are there other keywords than these four?

0 Karma

afamoyib
Path Finder

I am trying to do index-time extraction. When i try to use to extract tool it extracts poorly.

Description : Security Update
HotFixID : KB3212646
InstalledOn : 1/20/2017 12:00:00 AM

For example I am trying to extract the contents for description and make it a field and i am trying to extract installedby contents and make it another field. I used this regex pattern ^\w+\s+:\s+(?P\w+) but i was able to extract only one word.

The tool appears to not be providing me the desired effect.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...