Getting Data In

Feed inputs as command line argument

the_scissor
Engager

Is it possible to provide inputs to Splunk through command line argument (similar to python for compiling)? Instead of providing the path of the file/directory in inputs.conf, can we provide an input to it using command line argument while running the Splunk binary?
So, if I'll have to search for a string, can I do something like : ./splunk cmd searchtest "string"

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, you can feed inputs using cmd line -
to add a feed of /var/log directory (all files under this directory) -

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk add monitor /var/log/ 

internally this command updates the inputs.conf file. editing/updating this config file directly will more options.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.1/Data/Configureyourinputs

0 Karma

the_scissor
Engager

Thanks, but that will actually write into the same inputs.conf file and Splunk will be taking inputs from that path. What I was actually asking is whether it is possible to provide an input as command line argument while running the Splunk or not? Like for Python when we compile a file we do $python filename, similarly, can we do something like $splunk filename?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...