Getting Data In

Feature of Splunk: Auto detect user client (PC/Notebook) time zone?

henrysoon80

Hi all,

Any Splunk features able auto detect current login user client time zone, maybe detect on operating system level.

This is because in worldwide users some country practice daylight saving time (DST). Example: Beginning summer season in March, and some local time zone adjusts clocks forward one hour.

However, our normal user on DST location still refers on Splunk pertained time zone and report still automatically convert times into the time zone whereby selected in user Splunk profile, which is caused incorrect analysis of the data further by decision making.

Thanks

0 Karma

henrysoon80

Hi FrankVI,

Example my Euro user, by right their timezone before DST is +1 GMT which is follow splunk pertained timezone.
Currently, Euro countries in the summer season so locally they practice DST mean +2 GMT timezone

So which mean in splunk no has a feature to detect CET timezone, to allow auto detect and adjust the time diff during summer season.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Just have those users set their timezone to (GMT+01:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna and it will adjust for DST just fine.

0 Karma

skalliger
Motivator

If you're using roles that belong to specific regions, you can define the timezone (tz) in user-prefs.conf. Just take a look into it.

Skalli

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

How would that give different results from users setting their local timezone individually? Unless the issue is with users selecting the wrong timezone. Then this solution could help forcing their correct regional timezone on them.

Still wondering what the real issue is that @henrysoon80 is facing.

0 Karma

skalliger
Motivator

I personally hate setting my timezone, so I use a default value. This way, users do not have to set it themselves.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

I find it really difficult to follow your question and understand your actual problem.

Can you perhaps give a concrete example, rather than using vague terms like "worldwide users" and "normal user" and "Splunk pertained time zone"?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...