Getting Data In

Events not being filtered from Universal forwarder

mlevenson
Explorer

Trying to figure out whey I have events showing up that I am not wanting. I only want the events listed below so trying to sort out why.

Transforms.conf
[winevtnull]
REGEX=(?m).
DEST_KEY=queue
FORMAT=nullQueue

[winevtparsing]
REGEX=(?m)^EventCode=(4720|4725|4727|4728|4740|4754|4767|4794|4726|4932|4933|4935|4936|4937|5136|5137|5138|5139|5141|4649|5148|5149|4719|4739|4865|4946|4947|4948|6145|4674|4697|4672|4673)
DEST_KEY=queue
FORMAT=indexQueue

Props.conf

[WinEventLog:Security]
TRANSFORMS-winevt=winevtnull, winevtparsing

Inputs.conf

[default]
host = server

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts\splunk-perfmon.path]
disabled = 0

[WinEventLog:Application]

[WinEventLog:ForwardedEvents]

[WinEventLog:HardwareEvents]

[WinEventLog:Internet Explorer]

[WinEventLog:Security]
disabled = 0
start_from = newest
current_only = 0

[WinEventLog:Setup]

[WinEventLog:System]

0 Karma
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

Universal Forwarders do not perform filtering, that has to be done on the indexer (or any other interim "heavy" Splunk instance that does parsing)

EDIT: Adding some info from the docs: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Deploy/Routeandfilterdatad

"Important: Only heavy forwarders can route or filter data at the event level. Universal forwarders and light forwarders do not have the ability to inspect individual events, but they can still forward data based on a data stream's host, source, or source type. They can also route based on the data's input stanza, as described here."

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Universal Forwarders do not perform filtering, that has to be done on the indexer (or any other interim "heavy" Splunk instance that does parsing)

EDIT: Adding some info from the docs: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Deploy/Routeandfilterdatad

"Important: Only heavy forwarders can route or filter data at the event level. Universal forwarders and light forwarders do not have the ability to inspect individual events, but they can still forward data based on a data stream's host, source, or source type. They can also route based on the data's input stanza, as described here."

0 Karma

mlevenson
Explorer

I also found I needed to remove (?m)^ since I was not doing WMI calls for the event gathering.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...