Getting Data In

Error: Could not create Splunk settings directory at '\\MYUNCPATH\user\.splunk'. When using 'Splunk reload deploy-server' on Windows 2012

mrdavidchin
Engager

Hello.

I am getting this UNC path error when I try to execute Splunk reload deploy-server: Could not create Splunk settings directory at '\MYUNCPATH\user.splunk'.

My Domain settings make my homeshare set to that UNC path, so I don't have access to the user's directory, but I do have access to my own folder.

HOMEDRIVE=U:
HOMEPATH=\
HOMESHARE=\MYUNCPATH\user\david

So my question is, why does Splunk remove my home folder and drop me down a folder level?

Can I change where Splunk writes the .splunk directory myself? I'd like to keep it local where I am local admin.

0 Karma
1 Solution

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You were heading down the right path figuring this out. There was a bug logged (SPL-99953) to at least get an improved error message when this happens, but I think it's on the back burner at Splunk because the impact is low and the workaround is very simple.

If you have %HOMESHARE% defined to a DFS share, it causes the Splunk cli to error out due to %HOMEPATH% getting set to root \ . It gets set this way for unknown reasons. A very simple fix is to set your HOMEPATH to something "valid", by which I mean "normal non-DFS path"

C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin>set HOMEPATH=C:\

Or any other valid local path and try your command again. Sort of a pain, but really not a big deal.

View solution in original post

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You were heading down the right path figuring this out. There was a bug logged (SPL-99953) to at least get an improved error message when this happens, but I think it's on the back burner at Splunk because the impact is low and the workaround is very simple.

If you have %HOMESHARE% defined to a DFS share, it causes the Splunk cli to error out due to %HOMEPATH% getting set to root \ . It gets set this way for unknown reasons. A very simple fix is to set your HOMEPATH to something "valid", by which I mean "normal non-DFS path"

C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin>set HOMEPATH=C:\

Or any other valid local path and try your command again. Sort of a pain, but really not a big deal.

mrdavidchin
Engager

Great suggestion! I didn't realize just changing the HomePath would work.

I ended up having my domain admin change my user profile path to be a local path on the machine.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...