I've been trying to get Splunk to use HTTPS on my server, however, the settings are not taking place.
I'm following this guide http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/admin/SecureaccesstosplunkwithHTTPS
I've tried enabling from the Web GUI first, and the settings stick, meaning I can restart the Splunkd and Splunk web services and navigate to the General Settings page and still see the settings I'm trying to use. But I can't access the Web page with those settings. It just uses the original "non-ssl encrypted" settings.
I've also tried to change the settings in the web.conf file and again, they seem to stick, but are still not active.
I always restart the two mentioned services when making the changes, and even tried to reboot the server with no luck. I am using Server 2008 R2.
It appears that restarting the services and restarting the machine didn't truely restart Splunk. When I went into web management and restarted splunk from the web browser, the settings then seemed to take effect.