Getting Data In

Dynamic naming of files with outputcsv

gpburgett
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We've got Splunk running at a customer site and one of the things that they want is to be able to get regular statistics on their incoming events and then output the stats into a format they can use with their general reporting tools. (We told them they can do it all in Splunk, but I guess they like the graphical tools they've got. Whatever. Customer is king, right?) We've got a scheduled search running that gets the stats that they want and outputs it to a csv file and it is working fine.

However the name of the output file is always the same, the one that we specified in our search string. So, I was wondering if it is possible to dynamically name the output file using basic data from the search, like maybe "sourcetype_date_hour.csv" or something like that. Can this be done?

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sure can. A subsearch can do it for you.

<your search> | outputcsv [ | stats count | eval search=strftime(now(), "filename_%Y_%m_%d_%H"") | fields search]

The | stats count is just a cheap trick to create a single row. That row will have a 'count' field whose value is zero. I eval another field called 'search' and then use the fields clause to restrict to just that one field. And then subsearches are special-cased when they're given only a single field called 'search' (or 'query'). If they see that then they will return just the value of the field out into the outer search, not a whole fieldName=value term.

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sure can. A subsearch can do it for you.

<your search> | outputcsv [ | stats count | eval search=strftime(now(), "filename_%Y_%m_%d_%H"") | fields search]

The | stats count is just a cheap trick to create a single row. That row will have a 'count' field whose value is zero. I eval another field called 'search' and then use the fields clause to restrict to just that one field. And then subsearches are special-cased when they're given only a single field called 'search' (or 'query'). If they see that then they will return just the value of the field out into the outer search, not a whole fieldName=value term.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...