Getting Data In

Does TRANSFORMS applies on Heavy Forwarder or on Indexer?

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Let me know the correct scenario for heavy forwarder if I'm using only forwarding and not indexing and forwarding?

1. Heavy forwarder applies the TRANSFORMS (including nullQueue and other) and it sends the transformed data to indexer.
  2. Heavy forwarder sends the _raw data only to indexer and TRANSFORM will only happens if I'm using IndexAndForward.

In case of the first scenario is correct, will the TRANSFORMS applies on indexer as well?

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Any TRANSFORMS- setting applies to the first full instance of splunk who handles the event. So if you are using HFs, it will be the HFs, if not, it will be the Indexers.

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Any TRANSFORMS- setting applies to the first full instance of splunk who handles the event. So if you are using HFs, it will be the HFs, if not, it will be the Indexers.

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks @woodcock for the answer that make sense. I've also recently verified this by small POC.

Do all parsing happens on HF of there are some config that specifically handles on indexer?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

All index-time things will happen on the HF.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...