Getting Data In

Disk space was full need to delete the data ?

naveenyadav99
Explorer

Hello,

I am facing disk space issue in my Splunk so decided to delete the unwanted data as it is test environment, while running the following command index=malware | delete i am getting the following error.

Search not executed: The minimum free disk space (5000MB) reached for /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/dispatch. user=admin., concurrency_category="historical", concurrency_context="user_instance-wide", current_concurrency=0, concurrency_limit=5000

and also I can see so many errors on my Splunk as follows

naveenyadav99_0-1653380950367.png

Please help me on this to solve the issues.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @naveenyadav99,

at first, the delete command perform a logical deletion (events are marked as deleted but remain in the index), so you don't have new space in your storage.

Then the delete command requires that the user has a "can_delete" role.

Anyway, the problem is that you haven't sufficient space in your disk, so every search is blocked, and you cannot perform a search for deleting events.

To restart your searches, you can modify the minimun disk space from 5 MB to 2 MB [Settings -- Server Settings -- General Settings], but, as I said, this doesn't resolve your problem, it's only a momentary solution.

You can physically delete the oldest buckets, modifying the retention of some large index (e.g. _internal), you can do this, modifying indexes.conf on $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/indexes.conf, adding 

FrozenTimePeriodInSecs = 864000

and restarting Splunk.

If you haven't indexes.conf in local folder, as you well know, you have to create it in this folder, don't modify the one in default because at the first upgrade you loose this change.

This should give you much space on your disk but you'll have Splunk internal data only for 10 days.

Obviously you loose some information as the license consuption after 10 days.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...