Getting Data In

Differentiating between Sourcetypes

rturk
Builder

Greetings Splunkers!

I am currently collecting logs centrally for a content delivery platform for indexing into Splunk.

The vendor in their infinite wisdom has decided that the service_monitor logs should use the same file naming convention, despite the format of the logs differing based on the type of device that is generating it.

Example:

Filename: service_monitor_10.10.18.49_20110920_204501_00363
Originating Device Type: Service Engine
Fields: date time movie-streamer-threshold-exceeded movie-streamer-augment-threshold-exceeded movie-streamer-stopped...

Filename: service_monitor_10.10.18.41_20111026_225501_03295
Originating Device Type: Service Router
Fields: date time sr-cpu-percentage sr-mem(bytes) requests-received http-normal-requests-received...

Keeping in mind that these files are kept in the same directory. It would no doubt be possible to determine the role by the IP address, however this would involve a LARGE inputs.conf with a stanza something like:

[host://<ip_address>_service_monitor'
sourcetype=service_monitor_se

For every device on the platform.

Is there a way I can differentiate between the two automatically?

Many thanks in advance 🙂

RT

0 Karma
1 Solution

rturk
Builder

Playing around has come up with the goods.

With a list of the Service Routers, we were able to come up with the following stanza in our inputs.conf:

[batch:///...path_to_file.../service_monitor_(10.10.10.163_|192.168.159.68_|10.10.10.172_|192.168.159.76_|10.10.0.76_|192.168.159.172_|10.10.10.67_|192.168.159.164_)*]
host_regex = service_monitor_(\d+.\d+.\d+.\d+)_\d+_\d+_\d+
sourcetype = service_monitor_sr
index = service_monitor_sr
crcSalt = <SOURCE>
disabled = false
move_policy = sinkhole

Because configuration files are processed sequentially, having a "catch-all" below it for the other files captures the rest of them as service_monitor_se sourcetypes:

[batch:///...path_to_file.../service_monitor*]
sourcetype = cds_service_monitor_engine
index = cds_service_monitor_engine
crcSalt = <SOURCE>
disabled = false
move_policy = sinkhole

I hope this helps someone 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rturk
Builder

Playing around has come up with the goods.

With a list of the Service Routers, we were able to come up with the following stanza in our inputs.conf:

[batch:///...path_to_file.../service_monitor_(10.10.10.163_|192.168.159.68_|10.10.10.172_|192.168.159.76_|10.10.0.76_|192.168.159.172_|10.10.10.67_|192.168.159.164_)*]
sourcetype = service_monitor_sr
index = service_monitor_sr
crcSalt = <SOURCE>
disabled = false
move_policy = sinkhole

Because configuration files are processed sequentially, having a "catch-all" below it for the other files captures the rest of them as service_monitor_se sourcetypes:

[batch:///...path_to_file.../service_monitor*]
sourcetype = cds_service_monitor_engine
index = cds_service_monitor_engine
crcSalt = <SOURCE>
disabled = false
move_policy = sinkhole

I hope this helps someone 🙂

0 Karma

Takajian
Builder

If you extract each hosts by using a regular expression, does it work for you? The setting will be following in inputs.conf.

[monitor://]
host_regex = $YOUR_REGEX

rturk
Builder

Thanks Takajian. I can see what you tried to do there, but it's not quite what I was after. Fortunately I have found an swer that does what I need it to do... see below 🙂

Thanks again for your answer!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...