Getting Data In

Determine Universal Forwarder vs Other Forwarder from Logs

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I know that you can run splunk version to get an output telling you whether a Splunk install has the UF binaries or the full binaries, but is there ever anything logged? I did a search of my $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk and didn't find the word "universal" anywhere.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mcmaster
Communicator

Try this search:

index=_internal fwdtype sourcetype=splunkd component=Metrics | table host fwdType | dedup host

I've never run that search before today, but it appears based on our systems to log "uf" for Universal Forwarders and "full" for a Splunk Enterprise install.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

mcmaster
Communicator

Try this search:

index=_internal fwdtype sourcetype=splunkd component=Metrics | table host fwdType | dedup host

I've never run that search before today, but it appears based on our systems to log "uf" for Universal Forwarders and "full" for a Splunk Enterprise install.

Hope that helps.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...