Getting Data In

Deployment app wildcard Issue with inputs.conf file on windows application

rcrook89
Engager

We have multiple forwarders running on Windows servers that need to monitor application log directories. The only difference in each log path, is one segment.

For Example:

D:\abc\tra\domain\CPWCLPRD\application\logs\
D:\abc\tra\domain\CPWULPRD\application\logs\
D:\abc\tra\domain\SSSCQA\application\logs\

When the path is explicitly defined, the monitor works. However, I have been trying to use the following monitor in the inputs.conf file, but it doesn't work as soon as I put the "..." wildcard in.

[monitor://D:\abc\tra\domain\\...\application\logs\]
disabled = false
ignoreOlderThan = 7d
sourcetype = abc_defghi
index = xyz_funding
0 Karma
1 Solution

rcrook89
Engager

I figured out the resolution on this.

It looks like a bug was fixed in 6.5.1. that resolves an issue with using wildcards in the file monitor for an inputs.conf file.

In 6.5, for windows, you have to specify ".." as the wildcard in an inputs.conf monitor.

In 6.5.1, for windows, you can specify "..." in an inputs.conf file as the wildcard (per Splunk's documentation).

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rcrook89
Engager

I figured out the resolution on this.

It looks like a bug was fixed in 6.5.1. that resolves an issue with using wildcards in the file monitor for an inputs.conf file.

In 6.5, for windows, you have to specify ".." as the wildcard in an inputs.conf monitor.

In 6.5.1, for windows, you can specify "..." in an inputs.conf file as the wildcard (per Splunk's documentation).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...