We have multiple forwarders running on Windows servers that need to monitor application log directories. The only difference in each log path, is one segment.
When the path is explicitly defined, the monitor works. However, I have been trying to use the following monitor in the inputs.conf file, but it doesn't work as soon as I put the "..." wildcard in.
disabled = false
ignoreOlderThan = 7d
sourcetype = abc_defghi
index = xyz_funding
I figured out the resolution on this.
It looks like a bug was fixed in 6.5.1. that resolves an issue with using wildcards in the file monitor for an inputs.conf file.
In 6.5, for windows, you have to specify ".." as the wildcard in an inputs.conf monitor.
In 6.5.1, for windows, you can specify "..." in an inputs.conf file as the wildcard (per Splunk's documentation).
View solution in original post