Getting Data In

Convert timestamps in transforms.conf?

holtb
Explorer

I'm new to this wonderful app, so pardon my inexperience if this is easy...I have a very long search string, but I'd like to have these values created automatically on index. How could I convert this set of converts and calculations into a transform?

source="/sge/default/default/common/accounting" 
| eval "Wait Time"=start_time-submit_time 
| eval "Run Time"=end_time-start_time 
| eval "Submit Time"=strftime(submit_time,"%Y %b %d %H:%M:%S") 
| eval "Start Time"=strftime(start_time,"%Y %b %d %H:%M:%S") 
| eval "End Time"=strftime(end_time,"%Y %b %d %H:%M:%S") 
| table uid job_name project qname "Submit Time" wait_time "Start Time" "End Time" run_time failed

I tried doing it this way to no avail:

[accttimeconvert]
eval "Wait Time"=start_time-submit_time
eval "Run Time"=end_time-start_time
eval "Submit Time"=strftime(submit_time, "%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S")
eval "Start Time"=strftime(start_time, "%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S")
eval "End Time"=strftime(end_time, "%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S")
1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This feature does not exist as of Splunk 4.3. Today, your best option is a macro that implements your series of eval operations.

There are rumours that the next major release of Splunk will support a feature quite similar to this. But, of course, the exact feature content of the next release is always subject to change. I would recommend keeping an eye out.

I think one thing to point out is that you don't necessarily want this done at index time, but rather at search time. The search-time late binding of field names to values is one of Splunk's strengths.

View solution in original post

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This feature does not exist as of Splunk 4.3. Today, your best option is a macro that implements your series of eval operations.

There are rumours that the next major release of Splunk will support a feature quite similar to this. But, of course, the exact feature content of the next release is always subject to change. I would recommend keeping an eye out.

I think one thing to point out is that you don't necessarily want this done at index time, but rather at search time. The search-time late binding of field names to values is one of Splunk's strengths.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...