Getting Data In

Configuring nullQueue With Monitor and Sourcetype

confma812
Explorer

I've seen many questions regarding dropping information from logs by sending them to a nullQueue, however this is always with a source:: and where I differ is that I've applied a sourcetype to different folders, based on log organization.

My goal is to nullify any line with INFO in it, in various formats, using the regex .*(INFO|\(INFO\)|INFO\:).*

etc/apps/Splunk_TA_windows/local/inputs.conf

[monitor://C:\Program\Prog\logs\debug\*.log]

disabled = false

sourcetype = data_logs_debug

[monitor://C:\Program\Prog\logs\tomcat\*.log]

disabled = false

sourcetype = data_logs_tomcat

[monitor://C:\Program\Prog\logs\.*log]

disabled = false

sourcetype = data_logs_operational

etc/apps/Splunk_TA_windows/local/props.conf

Note: I have also done source:: instead of sourcetype with no luck.

[data_logs_debug]

TRANSFORMS-null=eliminate_info

[data_logs_tomcat]

[data_logs_operational]

etc/apps/Splunk_TA_windows/local/transforms.conf

[eliminate_info]

REGEX = .*(INFO|\(INFO\)|INFO\:).*

DEST_KEY = queue

FORMAT = nullQueue
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Am I right in guessing that all three of those .conf files reside on a Universal Forwarder?

If so, move or copy props.conf and transforms.conf to the indexer(s).

A note about your REGEX, that will be horribly inefficient. Replace .*(INFO|\(INFO\)|INFO\:).* with INFO - it'll match exactly the same events, but avoid insane amounts of backtracking caused by the .* at the front. That matches everything anyway and its matches aren't captured, so leaving that off doesn't change anything. Leaving off your other two alternatives \(INFO\) and INFO\: doesn't change anything either, because INFO already matches them.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Am I right in guessing that all three of those .conf files reside on a Universal Forwarder?

If so, move or copy props.conf and transforms.conf to the indexer(s).

A note about your REGEX, that will be horribly inefficient. Replace .*(INFO|\(INFO\)|INFO\:).* with INFO - it'll match exactly the same events, but avoid insane amounts of backtracking caused by the .* at the front. That matches everything anyway and its matches aren't captured, so leaving that off doesn't change anything. Leaving off your other two alternatives \(INFO\) and INFO\: doesn't change anything either, because INFO already matches them.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

.* is greedy, .*? is non-greedy. Both are useless here though because they match everything and their matched string isn't used in the FORMAT.

0 Karma

confma812
Explorer

Thank you. Good point on the regex - as I tested the efficiency of Splunk with and without the un-greedy approach (.*) and without it improved indexing speed tenfold.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yup, a UF does not parse/inspect its data. As a result, it cannot route or filter based on event content - usually that's done on the indexers.

0 Karma

confma812
Explorer

Yes, it is using the Universal Forwarder. I assume since it's UF and not a Heavy Forwarder it can't drop at the forwarder level, but has to at the indexer level?

A true point the regex, as I may just filter it down to (INFO) and INFO: since I'm looking for a particular format in my logs.

And say once I configure that transform on the indexer, will the indexer start removing that indexed data, or will it only apply for newly indexed data?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...