Getting Data In

Can you change the admin user password on forwarder if you dont know the current?

jbleich
Path Finder

I have a forwarder in which we forgot the admin password. Right now it's causing the vmware app to only partially work. Before submitting a ticket on that I really need to know if i can get that password changed.

I'm using >splunk edit user admin -password "new_password" -auth admin:current_password, but obviously dont know the current.

Tags (2)

jbillings
Path Finder

On 7.1 or newer, you'll need to use the user.seed.conf. Hurricane Labs has a good rundown on how to do it.
https://www.hurricanelabs.com/splunk-tutorials/splunk-7-1-performing-a-splunk-password-reset

0 Karma

Yasaswy
Contributor

Yes. You can rename the $SPLUNKHOME/etc/passswd and restart splunkforwarder to rest it to default "changeme".

dfrankekcg
Explorer

This worked for me, allowed me to safely change the admin password of a heavy forwarder to the default--which I changed to something more secure right away.

0 Karma

Yasaswy
Contributor

Sure.If you installed it in the default location (/opt/splunkforwarder)
1)mv /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/passwd /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/passwd_OLD
3)cd /opt/splunkforwarder/bin
4)./splunk restart

you should now be able to login with default password "changeme".

on Windows ... go to install directory and rename the passwd file under etc.

jbleich
Path Finder

I'm very much a splunk newbie, can you be a bit more specific or point me to some documentation w/ some steps to do this task.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...