Getting Data In

Can't uninstall Splunk 9.x on Windows 2022

bitnapper
Path Finder

Hi, I took over a Splunk Cluster with Splunk on c:\program files\splunk which produces plenty of problems due to long path restrictions. Activating long path support does not work for splunk so I have to reinstall all instances on c:\splunk. But when trying to uninstall I get errors due to missing permission. I have admin priviliges, installed a test-cluster with all new instances but can't uninstall splunk for some reason. Of course I stopped splunk before trying to uninstall it.

Can anyone tell me why even a freshly installed instance can't be uninstalled? I tried with 9.0.3 and 9.0.4.

Kind Regards

Labels (1)
0 Karma

bitnapper
Path Finder

Hi Giuseppe, 

thanks for your insight. The choosing of the os is not mine and even if i preferred Linux I dont have a choice. Also windows is officially supported by splunk so in my option they should actually support this platform properly and not just telling me that I chose the wrong platform - especially  when it is one they officially support.

Well, splunk support doesn't seem to be very eager to answer. I'm waiting for two weeks on a related question. I'm afraid if a add complexity to my support request its getting even more complicated.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @bitnapper,

get an higher Priority to you use case for the delay in answering: you can justify this action with the information that your project is delaying for their missing answer.

About the choose of the OS, the only hint I an give is guide your customer in the choose, explaing the advantages and telling the experiences received in the Community: I'm not the only one that give the same hint in Community! you could also ask help to the Splunk Sales Engineers.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @bitnapper,

this seems to be a permissions issue not related to the version, but anyway, open a case to Splunk Support, I suppose this is or will be a production system!

Anyway, in 12 years that I work on Splunk I never saw any large production architecture based on windows,, only Linux, on Windows I found only little or test architectures, never production infrastructures, especially with a cluster, so I hint to think a little bit more on your choose.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...