Getting Data In
Highlighted

Can't index data on network drives in (VirtualBox WinXP SP3)

Path Finder

Hello all,

I got the problem, that Splunk is not able to index any data which is on the host system. Splunk itself is running as a guest in VirtualBox on Windows XP. I am able to add a monitoring to the host system by selecting

\\vboxsrv\documents\Logauswertungen\Logs

But Splunk won't index these files. Please see My old Thread for further information. Since the other Thread was concerning another issue, I am opining this one.

Kind regards

EDIT: Here are two screenshots showing the InputData and the Indexes:

1. DataInputs
  2. Indexes

I think it's interesting that Splunk finds some files (actually there are only 2 files and 1 folder within this directory) but won't index them.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Can't index data on network drives in (VirtualBox WinXP SP3)

Communicator

If you map the drive using Windows file sharing (i.e. using a network drive letter) and specify that in your data input, does it work? (S:\Logs)

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

No it doesn't because the Windows file sharing is done within the local user and the service runs in the system environment. Splunk isn't even able to see the path. (See my old Thread about that).

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

The user account splunkd runs as needs to have read permissions on your UNC share. What user are you running splunkd as? Is it a domain user, or a local user account?

If you are running splunkd as a domain account, grant the appropriate account read access on your share. If it is running as a local user, either open the share up to the builtin "Everyone" principal or configure identical local accounts (same username and password) on both the log server and the splunk VM, then grant this account read access to the share and run splunkd as this account.

Highlighted

Path Finder

Let me explain the circumstances first:

• Splunk is running as local user account (admin without any password) within the guest system
  • The host system is a Managed Windows 7 Enterprise, the user there is within a domain.
  • -> Sounds if we won't establish anything here, I don't think it will be possible to add the VM to the domain.

• Is there a difference between a VirtualBox Shared Folder through the guest additions and a normal UNC share?

• I just tried to setup a share for everyone but this share seems to be within the domain and can't be accessed by the guest system at all

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

I checked the services splunkd and splunkweb in services.msc, they seem to be running in the system account. When I try to change this to the local user the services won't run. I don't get why Splunk can't use the VirtualBox Shared Folder via

\\vboxsrv\...
0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Katsche

again, splunkd.log is your friend - check it for errors/messages.

• are the log files to small to be indexed?
  • are the log files binary?
  • why don't copy the files locally onto your VM and index them then just to see if this works?
  • like ftk said, are there any permission issues?
  • did you fix the 'service accessing UNC windows' stuff?

so many things to check ......... so little time 🙂

Highlighted

Path Finder

Then let me take the time to check your points: 🙂

(1) We are talking abount >8MB of data, that isn't too small, is it? (2) The log files are *.log and can be opened with Windows' Notepad or Wordpad. (3) We will be talking about a large amount of data and the size of the VM is limited. That's why i am trying to access data on network drives of the host system. It is wokring with folders within the VM without any problems.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

(4) I thought the permissions are granted the second the guest additions in VirtualBox are setup. I can access all of the files in Windows Explorer. No permission issues visible to me. (5) I tried all of the options given here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/182750/how-to-map-a-network-drive-to-be-used-by-a-service/3821317...

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

Except the third one, I don't get it. -> "3.You can also try by making the service as interactive by specifying SERVICEINTERACTIVEPROCESS in the servicetype parameter flag of your CreateService() function but this will be limited only till XP as Vista and 7 donot support this feature."

0 Karma
Speak Up for Splunk Careers!

We want to better understand the impact Splunk experience and expertise has has on individuals' careers, and help highlight the growing demand for Splunk skills.