Getting Data In

Can "watched directories" be recursive?

tedder
Communicator

I'm watching a directory. Let's say it is /foo. The files are in subdirectories: /foo/archive/2010-11/ /foo/archive/2010-10/ /foo/archive/2010-09/

It doesn't appear Splunk is looking recursively to find those subdirectories. Do I need to add every individual month to Splunk? What are my options?

One thought is I could modify the archive script to put a copy of the file in the spool directory, but that means the index isn't "hard set" like it is on that monitored directory. What else? Perhaps I could have Splunk watch /foo/incoming, I'll copy it there and Splunk could read and delete it from that directory?

I think "..." is what I need for recursion. The inputs.conf doesn't make it clear- would the following monitor work: [monitor:///foo/...]

Or this? [monitor:///foo/.../*]

0 Karma
1 Solution

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is a setting for recursion in the inputs.conf file:

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/admin/Inputsconf

recursive = true|false
* if false, will not go into subdirectories found within a monitored directory
* defaults to true

This must be applied under your specific inputs stanza for the monitored directory. I suspect you should have a setting as follows:

[monitor:///foo*]

View solution in original post

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is a setting for recursion in the inputs.conf file:

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/admin/Inputsconf

recursive = true|false
* if false, will not go into subdirectories found within a monitored directory
* defaults to true

This must be applied under your specific inputs stanza for the monitored directory. I suspect you should have a setting as follows:

[monitor:///foo*]

tedder
Communicator

shouldn't the setting be closer to one of these?
[monitor:///foo/]
[monitor:///foo/*]

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...