Getting Data In

Can a Splunk search head cluster member also be an indexer?

talbotlarsen

Brief description:

We have 2 large physical machines we would like to use for our new Splunk Enterprise implementation.

My question is: Can each machine be both a search head cluster member and an indexer cluster member? I would like to have redundancy for both Search Heads and Indexers. I have read the documentation but may be missing the information.

Thanks in advance,

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Given what hardware you have, you could build a two-member indexer cluster with the physical machines as peers, a virtual master (can be small), three virtual SHC members (as big as you can get), and a virtual SHC deployer (can be small).

From there you could add physical machines to the SHC later once you have the boxes.

Steve_G_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Short answer: No. They must reside on their own virtual or physical machines, as must all the other nodes in the clusters.

In an indexer cluster, each node must reside on its own physical or virtual machine. See http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/Indexer/Systemrequirements#Machine_requirements

This is also true for search head cluster members. See http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/DistSearch/SHCsystemrequirements#Machine_requireme...

starcher
Influencer

And the deployer for the SHC cannot be a member, and the CM for the index cluster cannot be a member. Short answer is you need more systems. Depending on your data and search usage you are going to have tears from CPU, RAM and iOPS contention trying to subdivide just two physical machines.

0 Karma

talbotlarsen

Ultimately I wanted to have something like this:

2 Physical machines each acting as Search Head Cluster Members and individual indexers (not clustered)
1 VM acting as Deployer and Deployment Server

From what I read you can have a search head cluster with only 2 members, just not recommended in case 1 goes down.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The minimum member count for a SHC is three.

0 Karma

talbotlarsen

Looks like I am stuck with a Search Head/Indexer and Indexer configuration.

Would love to build more but availability of more large physical machines is zero. I am stuck with VM's for any new members.

0 Karma

talbotlarsen

Having read this:

With two physical machines I should be able to run a Search Head Cluster and non-clustered search peers on each server, correct? (assuming I build a smaller VM as a deployer)

I am currently running each machine as a search head and indexer but would like to use both machines as part of the same environment.

Any recommendations/corrections are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...