Getting Data In

Can a Splunk indexer accept ssl and non-ssl connections on the same port?

Jeremiah
Motivator

I only need to have some of my forwarder's use SSL. Can I use the same port on my splunk server for ssl and non-ssl forwarder connections?

Tags (3)

rijhwani
Explorer

SSL is by its very nature an endpoint to endpoint protocol. The encrypted connection is established before any identifying traffic passes in either direction (other than the certificate exchange). You can never share encrypted and unencrypted traffic on the same server port.

stefanlasiewski
Contributor

By the same token, Apache Webserver cannot accept ssl and non-ssl traffic on the same port. This is why we use port 80 for non-ssl and port 443 for ssl.

Jeremiah
Motivator

No, the splunktcp ssl port will only accept ssl connections. You'll need another splunktcp port to accept non-ssl forwarder connections.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...