Getting Data In

Can I use the Splunk Supporting Add-on for Active Directory (SA-ldapsearch) to enumerate group membership for a specified user?

danielansell
Path Finder

I have seen how the Splunk Supporting Add-on for Active Directory (SA-ldapsearch) can give me a list of all groups, and enumerate their membership, to include both nested and direct membership. I have also seen how I can retrieve all users, and the groups which they are a member of.

Does anyone have a search where I can search Active Directory with SA-ldapsearch, specify a user, and enumerate all group membership, to include any inherited groups?

Desired Results:
User | Group | Membership Type
John.Doe | Domain Users | Direct
John.Doe | Accounting | Direct
John.Doe | Finance Dept. | Nested

I believe I had some success achieving this with the data from Active Directory monitoring - however, I'd prefer to use SA-ldapsearch for this.

0 Karma

worshamn
Contributor

Yes, AD has a "magic string" (1.2.840.113556.1.4.1941) that I go into more detail on this answer https://community.splunk.com/t5/All-Apps-and-Add-ons/How-can-I-flatten-nested-Active-Directory-group...

But here is a working search for a single user that would give the output you mentioned:

| ldapsearch search="(&(objectClass=user)(!(objectClass=computer))(cn=username))" attrs="cn,memberOf"
| eval type="Direct"
| rename memberOf AS Group
| mvexpand Group
| append 
    [| ldapsearch search="(&(objectClass=group)(member:1.2.840.113556.1.4.1941:cn=username,dc=amr,dc=corp,dc=mydomain,dc=com))" attrs="cn"
    | rename dn AS Group
    | table Group 
    | eval type = "Nested"
    ]
| filldown cn
| stats values(type) AS type BY Group cn 
| rename cn AS User
| eval type = if(match(type,"Direct"),"Direct",type)
| table User Group type

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...