Getting Data In

Can I use epoch as timestamp in DBConnect?

wmuselle
Path Finder

Hi,

struggling with this for a while.

I have an epoch time value (10 digit NUMBER) that I want to use as both rising column and timestamp for the event.

The first works fine , but getting it to use this for the event timestamp not.

I know about the workaround of timestamp'1970-01-01 00:00:00' + ( "<my_field>" /86400 ) as eventTime,

but preferably I do not ingest an extra field if it is not really necessary.

there is no config I can get to work for the timestamp.

from the Java DateTimeFormatter it appears not possible, but just want to ask out here if anyone has ffound something

sources: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.13.0/DeployDBX/Troubleshooting

I have also tried using props.conf,

[mysourcetype ]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
TIME_FORMAT=%s
TIME_PREFIX=my_field=

but it doesnt even reach this part and errors out earlier

error pattern:

2023-06-20 10:27:07.521 +0200 Trace-Id=940a0c4d-8c64-44d7-a948-39fd6e9b7417 [Scheduled-Job-Executor-5] ERROR org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob - Unable to process Record: {header=[number=1, source="SHE170U-JOURNEY_TRACKER", creationDate="Tue Jun 20 10:27:07 CEST 2023"], payload=[HikariProxyResultSet@2091779680 wrapping oracle.jdbc.driver.ForwardOnlyResultSet@4f527ef2]} java.time.format.DateTimeParseException: Text '1687249036' could not be parsed at index 0 at java.base/java.time.format.DateTimeFormatter.parseResolved0(DateTimeFormatter.java:2052) at java.base/java.time.format.DateTimeFormatter.parse(DateTimeFormatter.java:1880) at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.task.processors.ExtractIndexingTimeProcessor.extractTimestampFromString(ExtractIndexingTimeProcessor.java:112) at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.task.processors.ExtractIndexingTimeProcessor.extractTimestamp(ExtractIndexingTimeProcessor.java:92) at com.splunk.dbx.server.dbinput.task.processors.ExtractIndexingTimeProcessor.processRecord(ExtractIndexingTimeProcessor.java:46) at org.easybatch.core.processor.CompositeRecordProcessor.processRecord(CompositeRecordProcessor.java:61) at org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob.processRecord(BatchJob.java:209) at org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob.readAndProcessBatch(BatchJob.java:178) at org.easybatch.core.job.BatchJob.call(BatchJob.java:101) at com.splunk.dbx.server.api.service.conf.impl.InputServiceImpl.runTask(InputServiceImpl.java:298) at com.splunk.dbx.server.api.resource.InputResource.lambda$runInput$1(InputResource.java:162) at com.splunk.dbx.logging.MdcTaskDecorator.run(MdcTaskDecorator.java:23) at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:539) at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1136) at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:635) at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833)

Labels (1)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@wmuselle 

• For raising column
    • You should be able to use that column as a raising column without any change
  • For timestamp
    • There is no direct way, to convert it to a timestamp as you mentioned already.

I hope this helps!!! Kindly upvote if this helps!!!

0 Karma

wmuselle
Path Finder
  • For timestamp
    • There is no direct way, to convert it to a timestamp as you mentioned already.

that's my point , I don't understand why there is no support for epoch timestamps in DB connect

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...