Getting Data In

CSV multipul time events in header

kphillipson
Path Finder

I have a CSV file where the header contains the time of each subset of data. I need Splunk to split the columns into different event times, to be referenced as _time.

user_ID6/24/20196/17/20196/10/2019

For instance user_ID 3 has logged in for 40.34 hours for week 6/24/2019,  40.5 hours for week 6/17/2019 etc...

The only thing that comes to mind is creating separate csv files for each week, but I believe there is a better way.  I have search but nothing has lined up with what I'm running into. The closest was this one but didn't help. https://community.splunk.com/t5/All-Apps-and-Add-ons/How-can-I-use-the-time-column-name-of-CSV-as-th...

Thank you for your time helping me.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

|inputlookup yourcsv |untable user_id week hours | eval _time=strptime(week,"%m/%d/%Y") |table _time user_id hours | collect index=yours

View solution in original post

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

|inputlookup yourcsv |untable user_id week hours | eval _time=strptime(week,"%m/%d/%Y") |table _time user_id hours | collect index=yours

kphillipson
Path Finder

Thank you for your experience.  A kind friend was able to generate a python script to reorder the csv for me. Loading the csv as a lookup and having Splunk generate the desired output works too!  Hope this helps someone with the same issue having time referenced in the row.

0 Karma

Nisha18789
Builder

Hi @kphillipson , is it possible to update the csv to contain data like below?

week user_idhours
6/24/2019340.34
6/24/2019436.99
6/17/2019340.5
6/17/2019438.64
Tags (1)

kphillipson
Path Finder

Hello@Nisha18789 ,

Unfortunately I can't export it that way. That would be a lot of entries to hand jam but I see where you are going with this.  I think I'll have to try my hand at a python script to change it.  I can easily flip the column A with row 1 using paste special > transpose.  From there maybe python can group the users to the hours, as you have in your example. 

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...