Getting Data In

CSV file ingest, exclude header

NullZero
Path Finder

I'm ingesting logs from DNS (Next DNS via API) and struggling to exclude the header. I have seen @woodcock resolve some other examples and I can't quite see where I'm going wrong. The common mistake is not doing this on the UF.

Sample data: (comes in via a curl command and writes out to a file)

timestamp,domain,query_type,dnssec,protocol,client_ip,status,reasons,destination_country,root_domain,device_id,device_name,device_model,device_local_ip,matched_name,client_name
2023-09-01T09:09:21.561936+00:00,beam.scs.splunk.com,AAAA,false,DNS-over-HTTPS,213.31.58.70,,,,splunk.com,8D512,"NUC10i5",,,,nextdns-cli
2023-09-01T09:09:09.154592+00:00,time.cloudflare.com,A,true,DNS-over-HTTPS,213.31.58.70,,,,cloudflare.com,14D3C,"NUC10i5",,,,nextdns-cli

UF (On syslog server) v8.1.0

props.conf
[nextdns:dns]
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = CSV
HEADER_FIELD_LINE_NUMBER = 1
HEADER_FIELD_DELIMITER =,
FIELD_NAMES = timestamp,domain,query_type,dnssec,protocol,client_ip,status,reasons,destination_country,root_domain,device_id,device_name,device_model,device_local_ip,matched_name,client_name
TIMESTAMP_FIELDS = timestamp

inputs.conf
[monitor:///opt/remote-logs/nextdns/nextdns.log]
index = nextdns
sourcetype = nextdns:dns
initCrcLength = 375

Indexer (SVA S1) v9.1.0

Disabled the options, I will apply Great8 once I have this fixed. All the work needs to happen on the UF.

#INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = CSV
#HEADER_FIELD_LINE_NUMBER = 1
#HEADER_FIELD_DELIMITER =,
#FIELD_NAMES = timestamp,domain,query_type,dnssec,protocol,client_ip,status,reasons,destination_country,root_domain,device_id,device_name,device_model,device_local_ip,matched_name,client_name
#TIMESTAMP_FIELDS = timestamp

Challenge:

• I'm still getting the header field ingest
  • I have deleted the indexed data, regenerated updated log, reingested and still issues. Obviously I have restarted splunk on each instance after respective changes.

Screenshot from 2023-09-01 12-01-58.png

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @NullZero,

as you can see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ITSI/4.17.0/Configure/props.conf#props.conf.example you should try add to your props.conf PREAMBLE_REGEX:

FIELD_NAMES = timestamp,domain,query_type,dnssec,protocol,client_ip,status,reasons,destination_country,root_domain,device_id,device_name,device_model,device_local_ip,matched_name,client_name
PREAMBLE_REGEX = ^timestamp,domain,query_type,

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

NullZero
Path Finder

Thanks @gcusello . I saw other options but I didn't think them necessary, appreciate the assistance and good to have solved it.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @NullZero,

as you can see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ITSI/4.17.0/Configure/props.conf#props.conf.example you should try add to your props.conf PREAMBLE_REGEX:

PREAMBLE_REGEX = ^timestamp,domain,query_type,

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...