Getting Data In

Break Log file with header and details into events

warrenpage
Explorer

I have a log file that looks generally like this

Header data  time=xxxxxx  databasename=yyyyyyy  numberortables=xx
Detail tablename=table1  rowsread=1111
Detail tablename=table2  rowsread=2222

I know I could break events on each detail record. However is there a way to configure my props.conf file so it pushes/collect the Data from the header into the detail events somehow?

This is so I could do a search on say databasename=xxx and tablename=yyy?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hazekamp
Builder

Generally speaking there is no way to force that Header into each Detail record such that you have:

Event 1:
Header 1
Detail A

Event 2:
Header 1
Detail B

Depending on the number of "Detail" records you could create a multi-line event. I wouldn't recommend creating events w/ linecount>500. Given that the row count for an event = (# of tables) + 1 (header) you should be under that mark. You would essentially be creating a single event for each database.

Event 1:
Header 1
Detail A
Detail B
Detail C

Event 2:
Header 2
Detail X
Detail Y
Detail Z

View solution in original post

hazekamp
Builder

Generally speaking there is no way to force that Header into each Detail record such that you have:

Event 1:
Header 1
Detail A

Event 2:
Header 1
Detail B

Depending on the number of "Detail" records you could create a multi-line event. I wouldn't recommend creating events w/ linecount>500. Given that the row count for an event = (# of tables) + 1 (header) you should be under that mark. You would essentially be creating a single event for each database.

Event 1:
Header 1
Detail A
Detail B
Detail C

Event 2:
Header 2
Detail X
Detail Y
Detail Z

warrenpage
Explorer

Thanks I suspected as much.

I think I will just need to run the file through awk first to create full detail records like

time=xxxxxx databasename=yyyyyyy tablename=table1 rowsread=1111
time=xxxxxx databasename=yyyyyyy tablename=table2 rowsread=2222

In the meantime just doing without the header fields and marking the details as events separately.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...