Getting Data In

Azure Event Hub and Add-on for Microsoft Cloud Services Configuration Issues

WumboJumbo675
Explorer

Hello all -

Trying to get Azure Event Hub data to flow into Splunk. Having issues configuring it with the add-on for Microsoft Cloud Services.

I have configured an app in Azure that has Reader & Event Hub Receiver roles. Event Hub has been configured it receive various audit information.

I am trying to configure the input. But receive error message in splunk_ta_microsoft_cloudservices_mscs_azure_event_hub_XYZ.log

WumboJumbo675_0-1709914919348.png

Error - 2024-03-08 16:20:31,313 level=ERROR pid=22008 tid=MainThread logger=modular_inputs.mscs_azure_event_hub pos=mscs_azure_event_hub.py:run:939 | datainput="PFG-AzureEventHub1" start_time=1709914805 | message="Error occurred while connecting to eventhub: CBS Token authentication failed.
Status code: None
Error: client-error
CBS Token authentication failed.
Status code: None" 

I then tried to input the Connection string-primary key in the FQDN space, but receive the below error message. This is occurring because it is trying to create a ckpt file, but the file path is too long and it contains invalid characters.

2024-03-08 14:41:32,112 level=ERROR pid=34216 tid=MainThread logger=modular_inputs.mscs_azure_event_hub pos=utils.py:wrapper:72 | datainput="PFG-AzureEventHub1" start_time=1709908886 | message="Data input was interrupted by an unhandled exception." 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "L:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\Splunk_TA_microsoft-cloudservices\lib\splunksdc\utils.py", line 70, in wrapper
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "L:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\Splunk_TA_microsoft-cloudservices\lib\modular_inputs\mscs_azure_event_hub.py", line 933, in run
    consumer = self._create_event_hub_consumer(workspace, config, credential, proxy)
  File "L:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\Splunk_TA_microsoft-cloudservices\lib\modular_inputs\mscs_azure_event_hub.py", line 851, in _create_event_hub_consumer
    args.consumer_group,
  File "L:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\Splunk_TA_microsoft-cloudservices\lib\modular_inputs\mscs_azure_event_hub.py", line 238, in open
    checkpoint = SharedLocalCheckpoint(fullname)
  File "L:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\Splunk_TA_microsoft-cloudservices\lib\modular_inputs\mscs_azure_event_hub.py", line 103, in __init__
    self._fd = os.open(fullname, os.O_RDWR | os.O_CREAT)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'L:\\Program Files\\Splunk\\var\\lib\\splunk\\modinputs\\mscs_azure_event_hub\\Endpoint=sb://REDACTED.servicebus.windows.net/;SharedAccessKeyName=RootManageSharedAccessKey;SharedAccessKey=REDACTED-insights-activity-logs-$Default.v1.ckpt'

Here is my inputs.conf file for the add-on

[mscs_azure_event_hub://PFG-AzureEventHub1]
account = AzureActivity
consumer_group = $Default
event_hub_name = insights-activity-logs
event_hub_namespace = REDACTED.servicebus.windows.net
index = azure-activity
interval = 300
max_batch_size = 300
max_wait_time = 10
sourcetype = mscs:azure:eventhub
use_amqp_over_websocket = 1

I have been stuck on this for the past couple of days. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

WumboJumbo675
Explorer

The issue has been resolved. Turned out I fat-fingered the entry in Azure Event Hub Input configuration for the 'Event Hub Name' once that was corrected all errors have been resolved and data is ingesting as expected.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Where are you applying the Event Hubs Data Receiver role?  I usually apply it at the Subscription level so that any other namespaces created in the same subscription will inherit the necessary permissions.  There is a walkthrough here (Step 4) => https://lantern.splunk.com/Data_Descriptors/Microsoft/Getting_started_with_Microsoft_Azure_Event_Hub...

The SSL error you are getting may be a private certificate in the certificate chain.  I have also seen similar issues when a network device injects a private cert in the header in outbound traffic.

0 Karma

WumboJumbo675
Explorer

I am now seeing the following error log

2024-03-08 13:06:35,386 level=ERROR pid=34152 tid=MainThread logger=modular_inputs.mscs_azure_event_hub pos=mscs_azure_event_hub.py:run:939 | datainput="PFG-AzureEventHub" start_time=1709903177 | message="Error occurred while connecting to eventhub: Failed to initiate the connection due to exception: Websocket failed to establish connection: SSLCertVerificationError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: unable to get local issuer certificate (_ssl.c:1106)')
Error condition: ErrorCondition.SocketError
 Error Description: Failed to initiate the connection due to exception: Websocket failed to establish connection: SSLCertVerificationError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: unable to get local issuer certificate (_ssl.c:1106)')" 
0 Karma

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

2 things to check.

1 - I've seen instances where firewall devices inject private cert on outbound traffic causing error messages like this.  Adding an exception for the Splunk forwarder resolved the issue.

2 - if you are using self-signed or internal certs, you may need to add the cert to the add-on's trust list.

• Navigate to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_microsoft-cloudservices/lib/certifi
  • Edit cacert.pem file
  • Append the contents of your root certificate to this file
  • Restart Splunk
0 Karma

WumboJumbo675
Explorer

The issue has been resolved. Turned out I fat-fingered the entry in Azure Event Hub Input configuration for the 'Event Hub Name' once that was corrected all errors have been resolved and data is ingesting as expected.

0 Karma

wubwub
Engager

We are also having the error below:

Error occurred while connecting to eventhub: CBS Token authentication failed

We were told that Splunk wasn't hitting AZ FW at all. Did you solve that? If so was it a network opening? Please share so other can fix as well. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...