Getting Data In

Are there any issues with Splunk reading and indexing gzip files via a universal forwarder?

acidkewpie
Path Finder

Hi,

I've heard comments against configuring Splunk to read gzipped files, horror stories of it not always noticing the file was indeed a gz and logging the compressed raw data instead. I'm looking to piggyback on an existing process that drops a pile of gzipped logs onto a server with a universal forwarder already installed, and don't want to have to delve into custom scripts to first decompress the files to a temp location if there are no genuine known concerns around Splunk's consistent reliability when it comes to indexing gzipped files..

0 Karma
1 Solution

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk can read zip/gzip files. Do understand that what Splunk does on the back end is:

1) Unarchives
2) Reads the Files
3) Indexes
4) Deletes the unarchived pieces

Additionally, the unzip process is not multithreaded. So you can see a fair amount of latency and cpu time used when this is done. Especially true if you are trying to monitor a large number of zip files. Also, you have to becareful regarding free disk space..

View solution in original post

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk can read zip/gzip files. Do understand that what Splunk does on the back end is:

1) Unarchives
2) Reads the Files
3) Indexes
4) Deletes the unarchived pieces

Additionally, the unzip process is not multithreaded. So you can see a fair amount of latency and cpu time used when this is done. Especially true if you are trying to monitor a large number of zip files. Also, you have to becareful regarding free disk space..

acidkewpie
Path Finder

That all sounds reasonable as long as it reliable here. These are daily batch files, no manageable delay is really a problem, and it's done overnight when things are relatively sleepy. Where would the files be decompressed to by default?

Ultimately this is a temp hack before we get a real time stream of equivalent data, so looks good all round to me. Thanks

0 Karma

btt
Path Finder

For my understand there is no need to decompress gzip files before indexing it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...